Discussion Thread -> "In Or On a Shell" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"In Or On a Shell"

IMG_3276.jpg

This was Gore's entry in the riveting 2011 "In a Shell Throwdown".

As chosen by Grimm5577 for winning the "Duck or Goose" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Grimm5577 said:
Next TD Category:
IN or ON a Shell. Shell can be edible, but not required.

Makes perfect sense to me! What could possibly go wrong? :heh:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/24 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 11/3/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 11/3.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
"I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow.
Charlie Daniels.

Please accept this as my official entry into the "In Or On a Shell" TD

I choose to go from in a shell to on a shell. This is a method for cooking lobster tails that insures that they cook evenly and not get all dried out on the grill.

Started with 2 tails. Pay no attention to the Escargo on the side, that was another appetizer.

Ran my Poutry shears straight up the top of the shell, Cut from the front to back of the tail. Carefully pull the meat out of the shell and lay it on top

Seasoned with Paprika, Montreal Seasoning, Roasted Garlic Butter.

Then direct on a super hot grill 500°F

Cook without turning till the IT reaches 135°F No peaking, keep the lid closed boys!

Then turn over to finish at 140°F IT

Plated with Baked potato with butter & sour creme with an endive and marche salad.
Also my polling pick if you please.

Thanks for looking!

Jed

Very nice Jed. I had a similar idea, but didn't pull the trigger on it. In hindsight, I am glad I didn't...

This is an official entry.

My wife doesn't eat any seafood, so I was trying to figure out what to do for this TD that had a shell and wasn't seafood. While flipping through some recipes that I had bookmarked for Meatless Monday I came across a recipe for roasted veggie quiche and decided to modify it for this TD.

Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Quiche with Cucumber Sour Cream Salad

I started with some zucchini, eggplant, broccoli, portobello mushrooms and green and red bell peppers and tossed them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then they took a little spin on a hot grill to get some flavor and cook part way.

15026827633_7d73349c89_c.jpg

Once they were done I put them in a bowl to cool for a while...

15461014557_7a5d36491b_c.jpg

Once cool I gave them a rough chop and added them to a deep dish pie crust shell that I had blind baked earlier and added a mixture of eggs, milk, goat cheese, salt and pepper.

The quiche baked for about 40 minutes and then we let it rest for a few minutes before cutting...

15461412680_9fbaab6e07_c.jpg

15461413420_108332ecd5_c.jpg

15623277586_2dd7cd8273_c.jpg

Please use this ^^^^ as my entry picture.

I also took a cucumber and sliced it thin on a mandoline and made a dressing of sour cream, apple cider vinegar and sugar and made a cucumber salad to go with the quiche.

***Please Accept This as My Official Entry in the "In or On a Shell" Throwdown***

It’s been a while since I’ve done a deep dish pie. I’ve been loving the Blackstone Pizza/Patio oven so much I haven’t revisited this pizza style, but a few weeks ago, felt it was time to cook up one of these savory, rich, and hearty pies, especially with the fall weather upon us.

This time, I found a respected source for an authentic style Chicago style pizza dough, which you can see here:

DSC_3084_zps621c20ec.jpg

The difference between “pan style” pizza vs Chicago deep dish is the high amount of oil in the Chicago style crust, which renders a very flaky, almost buttery crust. I followed the recipe to the letter. In addition, the sequence of toppings and sauce is totally different, with cheese on the bottom, then followed by toppings, then finally, the sauce. The only difference is I cooked the pizza on the grill, and using a cast iron skillet.

So let’s get started!

We made the dough as prescribed, along with my own homemade sauce, and let the dough sit covered tightly for about two hours. While we did this, we served our local kids treats and tricks.

When the last of the trick or treaters left, we brought in our decorations and started working on pizza construction.

DSC_3105_zpsbec89e9a.jpg

I also fired up a full chimney of coals, and while those lit, cooked up some spicy Italian sausage:

DSC_3081_zps20bb507b.jpg

DSC_3088_zpsbe399872.jpg

Time to build the pie:

DSC_3086_zps4abcc501.jpg

Dough fully formed to pan:

DSC_3089_zps025b991e.jpg

Now the first layer of cheese – sliced provolone:

DSC_3090_zps17bd40d1.jpg

A layer of mozzarella on top of the provolone:

DSC_3091_zpsec170d9c.jpg

Now the sausage:

DSC_3092_zps1a2b4e46.jpg

It's important to note here that the sausage is usually put on raw, in a single layer covering the cheese, however, I just didn't want to go that route and clog my arteries prematurely. :biggrin1:

Pepperoni:

DSC_3097_zps62ac96d9.jpg

And sauce:

DSC_3098_zps74b54fb4.jpg

Typically, the sauce is then topped with grated Parmesan and nothing else, but I added a bit of mozzarella as well to give the top a firmer texture:

DSC_3100_zps7cd778f9.jpg

Kingsford Oval ready for action:

DSC_3101_zps92937d3a.jpg

And on goes the pie!

DSC_3104_zps5d9a3df3.jpg

About 15 minutes later:

DSC_3107_zps1d805e08.jpg

I pulled the pizza when it had cooked a total of 35 minutes, and then let it rest. The filling of the pie was so molten, I could literally see it “jiggle” as I brought the pie in. I then let it rest for 10 minutes.

Out of the cast iron skillet:

DSC_3108_zps2d60345e.jpg

Now sliced:

ChicagoStylePizza4_zps5bf31c0b.jpg

Please use the pic above as my entry shot, please!

And here’s a close up, complete with steam coming out the top:

DSC_3118_zps99c91196.jpg

So how was it? Well, it was pretty fantastic! Talk about a perfect blend of gooey, cheesy, savory goodness. The crust was flaky and pastry like, which is to be expected. I may experiment with a hybrid crust next time that is more like a regular pizza with a bit less oil so the dough is more bread-like, but overall, it was just delicious, and mighty filling!

Here is my official entry, stuffed peppers on the big green egg, made with hamburger, sausage, and other good stuff.

The cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3088219

And my entry shot:

2698.jpg

They were really good, I would make them again.

Fun idea for a throwdown, I had to think a bit to come up with something.

I had something I was going to enter this TD and the comfort TD, but I thought we had another week. Oh well...

OK, folks, that's a wrap! Voting poll will be up shortly.

I had something I was going to enter this TD and the comfort TD, but I thought we had another week. Oh well...

You can still enter it (and anything else you like that fits the category) in the Comfort Food throwdown, as it lasts all month. :thumb:

You can still enter it (and anything else you like that fits the category) in the Comfort Food throwdown, as it lasts all month. :thumb:

Oh yeah, that's the plan. Just thought I had longer on the shell TD.

Back