MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Default I get to play chef in New Mexico

In a couple of weeks I will be going on a 10 day trip to New Mexico(Folsom specifically) to help my step-nephew-in-law with an elk hunt he is guiding. I am super excited about it. I am not much of a hunter, but I get to go and hang out at the ranch all day drive the 4-wheeler all around the ginormous property while everyone else goes a killin'. Basically the deal is that I get free room and board and travel expenses as long as I help out where needed. Mostly that is going to involve handling the cooking. This is where I need some help from you guys.

There will be 4 hunters, my nephew and myself. These guys paid a grand each for the hunt, and I want to make sure the food is hearty and good. I have never really cooked for "paying customers" before, so I would love any advice you all can provide.

Currently, I plan to make Deer chile, a fish fry(fresh caught hopefully), some steaks(deer most likely, but possibly elk) on the grill. I will be making a large batch of potato salad, slaw, and bbq beans to sort of eat throughout the week. I will be making some fatties for breakfasts or lunches, and also will be taking a few lbs of pulled pork. From what I understand the lodge has a normal residential kitchen with propane stove and a regular refrigerator. My nephew says it is stocked, but I plan to take some of my kitchen gear anyway...knives, cast iron skillet, dutch over, etc. I will also take my WMS and my Kettle.

As I mentioned before, this is the first time I have done this sort of thing, so I may be overlooking some important issues. I would like to get any opinions on anything from what I should take with me, to thoughts on my menu plan. I don't think I quite have enough food planned, so I would also appreciate any ideas as to what else might work well as far as dinners. Please feel free to ask any questions too...I may not have thought about whatever your question is.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Crap...I just realized that this thread should really be under the Catering and Cooking for the Masses area...if a moderator is running around out there and could move it I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks

KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

If I were you, I would read Thirdeyes instructions for Brining. Regular and flavor Brines. If your going to be eating off the land alot, which is the way it sounds, lots of good seasoning blends and mabey some marinades.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't forget your eggs and flapjacks for breakfast, maybe try the blueberry pancake wrapped up in a Fattie . Maybe a good ole Meatloaf on the WSM, Make enough for Sammies.
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
Don't forget your eggs and flapjacks for breakfast, maybe try the blueberry pancake wrapped up in a Fattie . Maybe a good ole Meatloaf on the WSM, Make enough for Sammies.
There will be plenty of eggs..I might make up a gallon of pancake mix to take. I like the smoked meatloaf idea.

KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
n2dabluebbq
On the road to being a farker

maybe pick up some green chile while you pass through Albuquerque (i imagine you are driving). would also bring some extra charcoal seeing how it isn't really abundant around these parts. oh and while cooking don't forget to take into consideration the elevation(almost 6400ft) thing.
the green chile would be real good over some eggs in the a.m. and is rather versatile on other dishes. would go with either a medium or hot to suit everyone.
oh be sure to stay safe and warm. don't forget a camera for the atv ride.
n2dabluebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

purchase the L. L. Bean Wild Game Cook Book by Angus Cameron

It is a must for cooking in hunting camp. I have cooked for hundreds of hunting camps---but never at a Lodge.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote