• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Official Stickburner Thread

Not mine, but something I saw in VA a few years back. Good BBQ off of these! Saw a lot of oil tank cookers out that way - oriented both vertically (seemed to be mainly used for whole hog over direct coals) and horizontally.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Should I wipe it clean and then food grade mineral oil when it’s hot or cold?

Yep...I wipe it clean with a bit of water...soap if necessary for stubborn drips of meat juice....then a thin coat of mineral oil...i usually do it cold...

Also i tend to stay away from the mineral oil on the firebox itself....low smoke point.....

Also...be careful around the hinges...last time I used too much and my door handles wouldn't stay up by themselves they were so well lubricated.

I have a big reverse flow and a small traditional offset. I put a plate in my small offset to even it out a little, but I like the 10-15 degree variance in the little cooker. I use that as I point chicken legs at the hotter end or the brisket point at the hotter end, etc. As for chimney placement I think chimney diameter is pretty important also. In my big reverse flow offset the chimney diameter is huge so it moves air quickly. In my little traditional the diameter is not as big (comparatively). But I think this is OK because I use lump charcoal often as the "heat" in the little guy whereas the big one is always a roaring fire.

I like the theory (so does Aaron Franklin) of the chimney opening being at the grate level as opposed to the top corner of the cooker. I do not think this is a factor in my small offset because the cook chamber is small enough that everything is getting hit with smoke. If you're only getting one I would get at least a 20" diameter cook chamber. My 16" is great for me only because I have big ones for when I want to cook for a big group. I would also consider what is made around you. Shipping can be 1/2 the price of a cooker. (that's how I ended up with a Bubba over a Lang)
Finally, back to your original question, if you are getting a big cooker I would recommend a reverse flow with a big chimney. If you are getting a smaller one I would not go below 20" diameter and decide if you want a really even cook chamber (reverse flow) or if you want a little variance you could go traditional. (I'm sure someone is about to say they don't have any temperature variance in their traditional offset, this is just my 2 cents)

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a small(ish) traditional. I like the idea of having at least a 24" cook chamber. I think that's a decent size for the days when I need to cook a little more for get togethers and stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a small(ish) traditional. I like the idea of having at least a 24" cook chamber. I think that's a decent size for the days when I need to cook a little more for get togethers and stuff.

I think 24" is a great size and you will really like it. I did put a baffle in mine, bought a charcoal basket, and upgraded the thermometer to a tel tru. I really enjoy cooking on it and I like all the different things I can do- sticks, coal and chunks, lump, etc. Best of luck when you get it and make sure to show pics!

How does that thing tow with the firebox and warmer being that far away from the axel?

Very well. No issues at all. I've towed it empty, and full of wood. But I tow will a 3500, so I don't know it's there.
This pic shows the wood/equipment storage area.

Attachments

• IMG_20170804_115155809.jpg
    IMG_20170804_115155809.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 360
I'll be keeping a SUPER close eye on this thread! I want to pick up a stick burner sometime next year and this thread will help be settle on what I want.

What are your thoughts on smoke stack placement? I've been of the belief that having the stack at grate level is optimal but I see a LOT of stick burners with the stack located at the top of the cooking chamber.

I like my smoke stack Dead Center On Top.............or 2 stacks side by side just off center..............

24x 48 to 60" is the perfect all around size imo, doesn't burn much if any more fuel than a 20" but much more capacity and versatility with plenty of room for more slid out racks and will run a real log cleaner without overheating or smoldering, a true stick burner imo.

Lots of great looking rigs in here for sure!
I remember way back in my naïve days when I thought my ECB was an impressive looking unit. :oops:
I have to say that LordRiffenstein seems to be winning this thread!
If every house in Belgium has all those built in cooking pits, I'm moving!

My first (and likely last) stick burner:

Attachments

• 9A063EB1-99A5-423A-9FA2-4F1C15CC07E6.jpg
    9A063EB1-99A5-423A-9FA2-4F1C15CC07E6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 423
  • 4A1EEB23-0822-4D27-A047-C7C63459B460.jpg
    4A1EEB23-0822-4D27-A047-C7C63459B460.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 279CC6A0-9AC3-4AD5-B60E-D5DCC7646123.jpg
    279CC6A0-9AC3-4AD5-B60E-D5DCC7646123.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 426
Back