White Smoke Everywhere! Help!!!

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sooo...made a batch of Dino Bones on Saturday. Here's the setup:

UDS, fired up via minion method with regular old Kingsford

Temp brought up to 225*

Throughout the smoke, I had several heavy periods of white smoke...especially towards the end. You could really taste it on the ribs. Any way to prevent this?

Thats the advantage of grease dripping on the fire. I started using a diffusser plate in my UDS.

Silly me. I guess I should have thought of that while the Dinos were dripping fat all over the coals! :redface:

I'll try a diffuser next time. Thanks!

Thats the advantage of grease dripping on the fire. I started using a diffusser plate in my UDS.

You don't like that good ole' pit flavor?:p

Nah, seriously, I don't want much of it, either. I used a pan when I wanted to eliminate it, but I read that some folks don't have enough exhaust venting and that can make it a lot worse. Cooking less meat will help as well, but dino bones do have a lot of fat to render. Baby backs and chicken are awesome off a uds, though.

I have not seen this problem on a UDS with butts, briskets or chicken, I did not notice white smoke of significant quantity during the cook process. I am sure there was fat rendering. I wonder if there is an issue with your intake or exhaust balance that is causing your fire to smother with the drippings. When I see lots of white smoke mid-fire, I think of smothering of the coals, which would argue for not enough air to keep the fire going.

Was the smoke always after you took the lid off? If so, stop taking the lid off! :wink:

I'm still new to the UDS faithful. But, I notice that when I take the lid off, the wood gets a lot of air and catches fire with a big yellow flame, which produces the bad smoke. Burying the wood under charcoal seems to help reduce this.

If your smoke was blue from start the white smoke is probably from the fat/marinade/juices dripping on the hot coals.
If your smoke was white from the start maybe your coals and/or wood were wet.

Back