MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brine - Weight Before After

I brined a turkey breast last Sunday. 6 hours in brine.

Weight before brine immersion 1993 grams

Weight after 2040 grams gain of 47 grams or 2.36%

Ready to Eat.

QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good, I'd hit that!

by the way how did she taste?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

It tasted FANTASTIC. Juicy very much so. I think I'll up the time by another hour the next time. I'm trying to reach saturation without going too salty. I'm using a recipe from Cookshack Brining 101 "Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine" with half the black pepper and added 4 ounces of Gin (can't get Juniper berries) and a tablespoon of pickling spice. I tend to change recipes gradually a little at a time.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Thanks for the weight comparison! I always wonder how much is actually absorbed...

Might help with your brining, I try to shoot for a salty/sweet/spicy balance in my brine. I don't make it overly salty to begin with so that I can leave it in over night without worrying about too much salt. Watter absorbtion is what you're really tring to gain anyway... salt just helps that happen. You can try using sodium phosphate to bump up the water absorbtion without the saltiness.

Looks awesome!! I'd take a sammich!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOne View Post
It tasted FANTASTIC. Juicy very much so. I think I'll up the time by another hour the next time. I'm trying to reach saturation without going too salty. I'm using a recipe from Cookshack Brining 101 "Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine" with half the black pepper and added 4 ounces of Gin (can't get Juniper berries) and a tablespoon of pickling spice. I tend to change recipes gradually a little at a time.
Glad you like the recipe.

For me, I like to do Whole Breast 8 to 12 hours (sometimes more if they are the type with the bone-in)

Good experiment, would be interesting to see the difference in weight, I might have to get start weighing them again.

Russ
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Thats good to know..looks great btw...
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote