Adding heat to sauce

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What's the best way to add heat to a sauce without affecting the flavor too much? Hot sauces, chile powders, etc.?

thillin said:
What's the best way to add heat to a sauce without affecting the flavor too much? Hot sauces, chile powders, etc.?

If you want the heat but not so much the flavor from the pepper, you could probably use a chile powder from purely seeds. That's where a lot of the heat is and the flavor is mainly in the meat of the pepper. That's my logic, right or wrong.

Plowboy said:
If you want the heat but not so much the flavor from the pepper, you could probably use a chile powder from purely seeds. That's where a lot of the heat is and the flavor is mainly in the meat of the pepper. That's my logic, right or wrong.

Thats the way to go:biggrin:

Try a bottle of Holy Sh*t. No pepper flavor at all. Just pure unnecessary heat.

Plowboy said:

Never really thought about it, but----
If that logic is sound, and it seems to be, the seeds and veins from Jalapenos should do the trick. :lol:

Interesting idea.

TIM

bbqjoe said:
Try a bottle of Holy Sh*t. No pepper flavor at all. Just pure unnecessary heat.

Kinda like what Everclear is to liquor. Interesting.

The_Kapn said:
Never really thought about it, but----
If that logic is sound, and it seems to be, the seeds and veins from Jalapenos should do the trick. :lol:

Interesting idea.

TIM

Depending on the size of the batch, very little habanero seed or vein would add a lot of heat without any flavor.

Depending on the flavor profile you are after, dry mustard gives a heat that affects a different part of the mouth...also, hot hungarian paprika will give you a different heat.

If its a sauce, I usually toss in a couple of japs or habs, uncut, whole, stems removed only & simmer for 20 to 45 mins depending on heat level wanted. For a powder, I don't have a clue.
Dave

chad said:
Depending on the flavor profile you are after, dry mustard gives a heat that affects a different part of the mouth...also, hot hungarian paprika will give you a different heat.

I wonder what Wasabi would do? I don't recall a lot of flavor from Wasabi, but a lot of heat.

jpw23 said:
We had to send a guy home after daring him to eat a teaspoon full of that stuff........blistered his lips, made him violently sick, threw up everywhere, not pretty at all:shock:

A teaspoon? I'm surprised he wasn't rushed to the hospital. I have seen someone get an asthma attack from just breathing that stuff in.

Smoker said:
A teaspoon? I'm surprised he wasn't rushed to the hospital. I have seen someone get an asthma attack from just breathing that stuff in.

Something like that happened to me once. I kept goading my local Chinese restaurant chef to make stuff hotter and hotter until one day he sent out a small bowl of hot sauce. I raised it to my face, took a deep breath, and promptly stopped breathing. We were at a family gathering in the restaurant, and my son called the paramedics. By the time they got there, I was ok, but I thought I was having a heart attack. Never did find out what was in that bowl.

i use just one drop of the really crazy hot stuff..

Daves insanity, or devils revenge, or XXX... or any of the really nutzo hot sauces.. one or 2 drops gets diluted enuf not to change flavor but adds some heat.

Here you go:
http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
Almost pure capsaicin. The wrapper has a warning, the box has a warning and the bottle has a warning. It's not for flavor, just heat. They say a drop is enough to put some heat into 5 gallons of chili. Never tried it myself as I do not have a death wish.

Of course it is possible to add heat, but at what point does this change from being the art of cooking to a chemistry experiment? I knew a guy who flavored his chili with a misting of pepper spray--the kind you use to ward off an attacker.

The idea of using seeds and veins sounds OK though.

smokinbadger said:
I knew a guy who flavored his chili with a misting of pepper spray--the kind you use to ward off an attacker.

The idea of using seeds and veins sounds OK though.

Or you could make your own pepper spray. :wink:

Actually, I've heard of doing that to keep deer, rabbits and other critters out of the garden and hostas.

black pepper works for me. And some cayenne.

Back