MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
stumpknocker21
Found some matches.

Default Orange Wood

Does anyone have any experience smoking with orange wood. Just curious what it may be similar to.
stumpknocker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Hi there!

Do you mean the wood from an orange fruit tree?

Or do you mean wood that is colored orange, like an Osage Orange?

I've never had any wood from an orange tree to cook with - but I've cooked quite a bit with Osage Orange. Osage Orange is really hot and does not flavor your food too heavily with smoke.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like other citrus woods, orange wood produces a tangy, citrus smoke. Like any other good wood, too much will over-power the flavor of the meat.

Orange gives food a golden color and produces a nice mild smoky flavor with a slight hint of fruitiness.

great with Poultry, Fish, Game, and yes.... Pork..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
stumpknocker21
Found some matches.

I appreciate the input, yes i was referring to the wood from an orange tree, however ive cooked with apple, peach, and cherry but never got any "hint" of fruitiness, usually i find that the fruit trees produce a really mild smoke flavor which you are describing, but i think i will give it a try and give the good ol pecan a rest for a cook just to see what this is all about.
stumpknocker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Experimentation is my favorite thing to do.

Please be sure to let us know how you like it - or not.

:-)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
caseydog

I bought some a few weeks ago, but haven't tried it, yet. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Like other citrus woods, orange wood produces a tangy, citrus smoke. Like any other good wood, too much will over-power the flavor of the meat.

Orange gives food a golden color and produces a nice mild smoky flavor with a slight hint of fruitiness.

great with Poultry, Fish, Game, and yes.... Pork..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpknocker21 View Post
I appreciate the input, yes i was referring to the wood from an orange tree, however ive cooked with apple, peach, and cherry but never got any "hint" of fruitiness, usually i find that the fruit trees produce a really mild smoke flavor which you are describing, but i think i will give it a try and give the good ol pecan a rest for a cook just to see what this is all about.
Smoke from wood is like wine, Merlot is made from grapes but gives a hint of plums, blackberries, and cocoa which none are present in the wine.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

... RocketmanRay from Florida near Kennedy Space Center..... where we have lots and lots of oranges, orange trees, citrus trees of all kinds....

Yep, use it - it's awesome. I especially like it when I hot smoke fish. And have used it in combination with hickory. Burns well in a fireplace too.

Will trade USPS flat rate box, whatca got? PM me.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

.... And, interestingly, not in the pine family, but an oak unfortunately commonly named Australian Pine (Casuarina native to Australasia, the Indian Subcontinent, southeast Asia, and islands of the western Pacific Ocean).

Yep, use it too to cook steaks and they are the BOMB!!!

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
tzccva
Found some matches.

I used orange a couple weekends back on some chicken wings and thighs. I was a little heavy on the smoke but it did give the meat a different almost tangy bite. I would use again for sure. I also got some peach the other day that I used on Ribs and that turned out awesome.
tzccva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

I have used it a few times...
Very light smoke flavor. Used it for pork and chicken I would recommend it.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

It's not bad. For me though, if I was going to spend money on fruit wood, I would get Peach, Apple or Cherry personally. But I know a lot of people like it..

If you want a really unique smoke flavor and aroma, try Persimmon wood. I'm not a fan of it, but it is unlike anything else I have used.