MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Default elk & buffalo burgers & an awesome cake

found elk & buffalo meat @ gander mtn.-$8.00 per lb(eek mod)
plus my wife made the cake for the kiddo's b-day.
here ya go...

Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Eight bucks a pound....kinda pricey. I've had buffalo burgers just once but they were overcooked, so I really don't know much about them. Had moose and venison(great!) but never elk. I do know that cake is rockin'!! Looks great! Congrats on the cute kid too

Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

how were the burgers? Cake looks awesome. Cute daughter. Happy belated birthday to her...and many more to come.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
how were the burgers? Cake looks awesome. Cute daughter. Happy belated birthday to her...and many more to come.
sad to say the burgers were lean & bland but that's probably from the michigan commercially raise product.i'll get more from friends in the dakotas that raise them & spice it up a bit.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Buffalo is gonna be a lean meat. Add some EVOO for moisture, or cheat some sausage into it. I also like it with oregano, garlic and powdered onion -- any or all -- mixed in the meat beforehand.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

We did some elk burgers at work a couple of years ago and they were very lean and sort of bland tasting. My friend who also killed the elk made the patties up and I am sure he did nothing else other than a little salt and pepper. I would definitely try something different now that I know what it taste and grills like.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
We did some elk burgers at work a couple of years ago and they were very lean and sort of bland tasting. My friend who also killed the elk made the patties up and I am sure he did nothing else other than a little salt and pepper. I would definitely try something different now that I know what it taste and grills like.
Adding sausage is about the best thing, in my redneck low-tech opinion. I like sage sausage. Sausage improves venison patties, elk, and buffalo when it comes to high-temp cooking or smoking. It even tastes great mixed with beef in hamburger patties. Plus, since you are really after the fat in the sausage, you can buy the cheapest chit you can find if you want, as it has higher fat content. I use JD, tho, rest his soul.

There is nothing better than an all-meat half and half fatty of sausage and one of those other meats. I like to make a half-dozen and freeze them longer-term, then refrigerate them as needed and use them as "cold cuts" right out of the fridge for sammies.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
weazel
Got Wood.

buffalo burgers are everywhere around here (Alberta, Canada), and it's cheap... funny how that works, we pay much more for stuff like steaks, roasts and brisket up here, but the more rare stuff we pay less. I think its because of the Alberta beef hype train... which is a bunch of crap. I have had good and bad beef from both sides of the border.

As for the buffalo... you will be much happier if you throw some sausage in with it, it is a lean meat.

Now if you want to try some really tasty meat, try to get your hands on some cougar! Oh man, cut it into strips, bread it and throw it in some oil in a pan and you have yourself a little piece of heaven.
weazel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

LOve elk! Usually very tasty. That cake is soooooo cool. Thanks for sharin'.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I liked the buffalo/bison meat we got around here, that stuff was good. I like that it was leaner than beef.

I like the cake, very nice.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote