Help on getting a slicer.

mskyfshntchr

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am looking at putting a slicer on my xmas list.
I'm not looking for anything real fancy- functionalility and ease of use are the key to me. Would prefer something that works with only one person, if possible.
I'm mainly slicing bacon, but would probably use for cutting up meat for jerky, if I had one.
What do you guys have that works and maybe more importantly- what ones don't you like?
Thanks!

I just got the Game pro from Bass Pro and it works great. I think it was about $250.

Got a maximum price in mind? Slicers can vary from $60 to more than $5000 dollars for commercial grade slicers.

check local craigslist. A commercial grade hobart or berkel would really serve you best. bacon is a decent size, you want a minimum 12" slicing wheel

Got a maximum price in mind? Slicers can vary from $60 to more than $5000 dollars for commercial grade slicers.

I don't. I was going to put a few different ones on my xmas list at different prices and see what happens. So, since no one buying for me is rich- it will be down near the bottom of that range- probably $200-250 at max price.

I bought a Hobart on craigslist for 295.00 (2,500.00 new). I bought a new blade for $44.00 and it is more than I'll ever need.

I didn't thing I'd use it for anything besides slicing bacon and jerky, but when we cook a ham, roast beef, and turkey breast I use it to slice the meat for dinner and then the leftovers for sandwiches or vac-sealed meals to freeze.

Makes the task easy and fast....

I am looking at putting a slicer on my xmas list.
I'm not looking for anything real fancy- functionalility and ease of use are the key to me. Would prefer something that works with only one person, if possible.
I'm mainly slicing bacon, but would probably use for cutting up meat for jerky, if I had one.
What do you guys have that works and maybe more importantly- what ones don't you like?
Thanks!

I would suggest getting something in the $200-$300 range. That should give you a bigger blade and not so much plastic as the cheapo $100 models. For what you said you will use it for, that would work just fine. Here is the link to the one I just bought. I used it to cut up 3 pork bellies for bacon this past weekend and it cut through them like butter.

http://www.basspro.com/Game-Slicer-Pro-Electric-Food-Slicer/product/11120908290524/

Craigslist....but you have to be diligent. When I started looking...my pal found found a nice older Hobart 10" for 125ish. I got fired up and started watching...found a Berkel 12" for 75. It didn't work....the on/off switch was bad....rigged it with a $3 switch...bingo.

There is a lot of junk for mega bucks...just gotta watch. This is a bad time of year...a lot of hunters like/buy/sell them.

You have to search garage sales etc.

I have a Cuisinart slicer. It's definitely consumer quality but it meets all of my requirements.

Back