Money Muscle

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Having cooked pork butts now for 25+- years, I knew a long time ago that the end of the butt opposite the bone is very special and has the most moist and tender meat imaginable. It was only 4+- years ago that I found out that it has a name, or is referred to as the "Money Muscle". I heard it from competitors and have since heard it talked about quite a lot among competitors. I'm not sure that Myron Mixon didnt make it a little famous by mentioning it on the first BBQ PitMasters show.

For competitions I'd always made certain that this piece received special attention, with just the right amounts of injection and rub, knowing that it was probably going to be on the very top of my pulled pork box (where I display the very best pieces). Since that time I've found out that some of this is regional. We'd almost never see sliced pork in this area, yet in other areas they'd consider it a sin not to slice the Money Muscle and display it all on its own. Either way, it's a wonderfully tender piece of meat if cooked correctly and can be the showcase of your pork cooking skills.

For identification purposes, it has a very distinct fat marbling characteristic. I could put words like stripes, etc. on it, but frankly a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few to help:

6.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

Then Todd (of Plowboy's) had supplied this picture a few years back of some butts in process:

005.jpg

I found a great article, although it's a little KCBS centric, on cooking butts for competitions and taking care of that wonderful Money Muscle:

http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/1252-award-winning-competition-pork.html

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
thanks alot, good info. i had heard the term money muscle but wasn't sure of what it was exactly. appreciate the post

only done butts once and I have to admit I was nibbling around the whole thing trying to determine what the hell myron was talking about. of course after about 3 bites everything starts to taste the same so this is much appreciated.

only done butts once and I have to admit I was nibbling around the whole thing trying to determine what the hell myron was talking about. of course after about 3 bites everything starts to taste the same so this is much appreciated.

Unless you've over/under rubbed one area vs. another, and/or over/under injected one area vs. another, the whole thing is largely going to taste the same. However, in tenderness there is no comparison. That little piece right there is something else!!!!

Thank you so much! I've been wondering where that prized piece of meat was located! Now just need to know if it's frowned upon in my area to slice. Hmmm...

LOL. Most KCBS contests judges will be accustomed to sliced being the MM. MBN is probably another story altogether. I wouldnt present ONLY sliced though...

It's posts like this one that make this a great place - thanks! :thumb:

Back