Chicken salad legal at KCBS comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexa RnQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I had to bring this topic over here because it is just blowing my mind.

In the December 2008 Bullsheet, page 6, Notes from the Board -- under Old/New business:

QUESTIONS CONSIDERED:
Cold chicken salad (no foreign substance) with mayonnaise. Legal.
Chicken thigh deboned, butterflied and put chopped chicken in it. Legal.
Thigh skinless, submit the skin separately. Legal.

I can see the thigh rulings, since all the cook has added is labor to the finished product.

But COLD CHICKEN SALAD WITH MAYO?

Who's going to have the big ones to turn that in?
Mayo standing around on a table in a hot judging tent?

Discuss.

Personally I think the whole thing is retarded. I was unhappy with the direction of the KCBS and didn't re-up my membership in protest. Until I see signs of it moving back in a direction I am satisfied with I won't give them my money. It all stems from the MMA Creative crap.

Just let the new judges have the warm mayo, that should weed a few out... :twisted: :eek:

KCBS added Mixed Martial Arts. Great now I have to put someone in a choke hold during turn ins.

But back to topic on hand. Chicken salad??????? Maybe ill try that this summer in Victorville, or at the proposed Vegas comp. Nothing like a little 100 degree chicken salad to get peoples stomachs churning.

I wonder if you could use Baconnaise instead of mayonnaise in your chicken salad?

It all stems from the MMA Creative crap.

Personally I think the whole thing is retarded. I was unhappy with the direction of the KCBS and didn't re-up my membership in protest. Until I see signs of it moving back in a direction I am satisfied with I won't give them my money. It all stems from the MMA Creative crap.

I don't think this can be directly laid at the feet of the Board. You know somebody TRIED it, that's why it was brought up for ruling. And as the rules now stand there's nothing *specifically prohibiting* it -- who in their right BBQ mind would have thought to prevent such a thing?

While the ruling expresses that it's *technically legal* because there's no direct prohibition, it's another thing entirely to presume that judges will reward that kind of innovation. I am very, very curious to see how that will shake out.

White Sauce Drumettes are legal also
but I wont go back there :)

I am wondering if this comes from teams trying to push the envelope to win a contest. Seems I remember some team putting flour on there chicken to make it look fried too? The question that comes to mind is this really bbq'ed chicken? I know white sauce has been tried before, no know if it has won though, it has may or salad dresssing in it. Could this be the beginning of the end? Does this become a anything go's contest?

Do they mean cold chopped chicken with sort of mayo "sauce" or real chicken salad with hard boiled eggs, celery, etc?

If they really mean salad, I say wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Not BBQ!

Me thinks thou worries way to much about the little things.

If someone were to start winning with chicken salad, then I'd start worrying about it.

Someone asked the board a question and they ruled on it. As Diva said, technically it's legal, but that doesn't mean it's going to become accepted practice.

And should someone win the chicken category with chicken salad you'll just be able to blame it on the judges anyway.

This is just plain crazy!! STOP THE MADNESS ALREADY. To Larry's point,I don't see this being a big deal till someone starts winning with ckicken salad :roll:.....but it ain't BBQ in my book. But what it does do is set up a dangerous precedent.......

I can see a entire board ruling on what constitutes mayonnaise. Does Miracle Whip count? Homemade? They are really opening up a can of worms here.

The only way I see chicken with mayo winning is if every other entry is bloody or burnt to a crisp. But I agree, sets a bad precedent.

Technically, I agree with the ruling. If the chicken is grilled or smoked, then it's just like any other turn in. Mayo is just an emulsion flavored with whatever you want. If a team chooses this type of sauce to enhance their meat, then they are within the rules. It may not be what most of us would consider traditional BBQ, but it's still within the rules. Now if they start adding veggies or eggs, then thats a whole different story.

Technically, I agree with the ruling. If the chicken is grilled or smoked, then it's just like any other turn in. Mayo is just an emulsion flavored with whatever you want. If a team chooses this type of sauce to enhance their meat, then they are within the rules. It may not be what most of us would consider traditional BBQ, but it's still within the rules. Now if they start adding veggies or eggs, then thats a whole different story.

Following your logic, veggies or eggs could/should be considered legal depending on the size of the chop. Part of the sauce, would be my arguement if I was turning that in.

I wouldn't do it, but I'd be willing to bet that someone that chose to could make their case if they got to the Rep prior to turn-in and explained what they planned to do.

I can see a entire board ruling on what constitutes mayonnaise. Does Miracle Whip count? Homemade? They are really opening up a can of worms here.

Why would that matter? they dont look at all the ingredients in any other sauce? There are already mayo based sauces/white sauces out there. This is just one other flavor profile; albeit one likely not to do well... but why not let someone roll with it?

The problem with this is, say they put pickle relish in the mayo, and call it sauce. Then they put hard-boiled eggs in also, call it "chunky" sauce. Where's the line?

We're supposed to be judging meat, we are reminded during the judges' meeting at every contest that it's a meat competition, not garnish, not sauce. This won't help the newby judges know what they should be doing at all. Won't help us oldbees either.

Are we next going to get slaw mixed in the sauce on pulled pork and be told it's okay because it's just sauce?

You'd have to be VERY careful about the size of your dice to use the chunky sauce argument. IMO, if you want to use veggies or eggs for flavor then just puree them into your sauce. That puts you 100% within the rules. I'm not saying that I think it would score well, but grilled/smoked chicken with a complimenting sauce is what we all turn in. A mayo style sauce may be unconventional, but it's still a sauce.

10. Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to
the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No
side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in
container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be
no larger than a fine dice, (approximately 1/8 inch cubed).
(Sauce violations shall receive a score of one (1) on
Appearance).

Following your logic, veggies or eggs could/should be considered legal depending on the size of the chop. Part of the sauce, would be my arguement if I was turning that in.

I wouldn't do it, but I'd be willing to bet that someone that chose to could make their case if they got to the Rep prior to turn-in and explained what they planned to do.

I would have to have to agree. Just like sauces that have some tomato or pepper or fruit in them that is part of the "consistency"... this could be the same way. Not sure who would do it.... but if they wanted to, go for it.

The problem with this is, say they put pickle relish in the mayo, and call it sauce. Then they put hard-boiled eggs in also, call it "chunky" sauce. Where's the line?

And, it would be pretty hard to say no eggs since egg yolks and oil are the basic ingredients of mayonnaise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back