• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Splitting the comp forum ?? Feedback requested.

How do we want to split the Competition forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
guys, im looking for some feedback from you.

The other day, i was looking for some info in our competition forum and found myself wading thru a load of contest info, and had trouble locating the 'general' information thread i was looking for.

So the mods and I were thinking maybe to split competition into 2 areas.

1 - Events Area. Announcments, Schedules, Classes, and Roll Calls.

2 - Comp talk. Comp Cooking Techniques, Show me's, Equipment, general discussion.

Now, I look at the forum and the largest majority are the events. Mixed in are pics of boxes looking for critique, trailer talk, "how do I", and general info. But thats a lesser percentage.

Here are some options.

I can set up a "general discussion" subforum, maybe call it "CompTalk" and we can start putting general discussion in there. Leaving all the event talk where it is. (In the main Competiton BBQ forum)

Or set up an 'Event Center' subforum and we put the event stuff in that one, leaving the general discussion in the main forum.

Or a seperate subforums for each, making Competition BBQ a catagory with no posting.. you would have to enter a subforum.

or..just leave it alone.

This is only discussion, just looking for feedback. We haven't even agreed this is needed yet.. so...

lets discuss.

Poll attached.

I'd love to read about the actual cooking at comps. The know how is probably out of this world. The event stuff is just to overwhelming sometimes.

I'd like to see them separated make the smaller percentage the sub forum.

The comp forum is the place I visit most often, I wander into Qtalk and the woodpile occasionally but not often. I come from that 'other place' and I'm just used to having everything right in front of me. Switching back and forth between sub forums just seems like a pain in my backside. But that's just me.

I agree Steve. I don't go to the green one anymore. It's all sterilized now. I too like it all under the same.

just to play it out a bit...

You'd have a thread in the comps forum saying "XXX is happening on May 3. Contact xxx to sign up" and no subsequent posts since they'd be off topic? Then to discuss individual categories (is shrimp considered seafood?), logistics, whatever you'd have to jump into the subforum?

Seems like it could easily balloon into a big job for mods when people don't post in the right place. Say you allow rollcall in comps. I post "SIDE just signed up." Wes replies "You said you would never go back there!" Wes's post technically should get moved to the comp talk area, but who the hell was he talking to?!!! It's now out of context.

I sort of like the idea of 2 different forums, the down side is the event forum would be slow during the winter months.

just to play it out a bit...

You'd have a thread in the comps forum saying "XXX is happening on May 3. Contact xxx to sign up" and no subsequent posts since they'd be off topic? Then to discuss individual categories (is shrimp considered seafood?), logistics, whatever you'd have to jump into the subforum?

Seems like it could easily balloon into a big job for mods when people don't post in the right place. Say you allow rollcall in comps. I post "SIDE just signed up." Wes replies "You said you would never go back there!" Wes's post technically should get moved to the comp talk area, but who the hell was he talking to?!!! It's now out of context.

That's not the way I interpret it, SIDE. All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event.

I voted for choice three, but I really don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak :rolleyes:

I like the idea of events subforum. Events in Ca. and NY. really don't pertain to me, so I really don't like wading through those.

I thought I knew what was going on before you posted this but this just might be the most confusing poll options ever. :confused: Your text explanation is not much better :biggrin:

State of the Comp Forum Address. Live at 11, with the duck and alpaca.

That's not the way I interpret it, SIDE. All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event.

I voted for choice three, but I really don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak :rolleyes:

Rons got it right.

A contest, its roll call, its specifics, its categories, all go in the event forum. That would include discussion about its categories, logistics, whos going, etc..

Oics of turn-in boxes for critiques, competition techniques, equipment, how to's, general discussion would go in Comp talk.

:roll:I guess I am just an ole dog that doesnt like new tricks, and I ain't fond of change, if it aint boke, dont fix it!

Back