Going to Jack Daniels World BBQ Comp. Any Tips?

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My family is going to "The Jack" at the end of October. This is the first time we have ever been there. Crazy excited!!!! Anyone got any tips for us?:p
thanks!!!

Take it all in and experience the whole package. The contest is awesome, and there's a lot more going on as well. Great memories!

Second to Rub's comment. Thinking of a couple practical tips...

Traffic into Lynchburg is lighter from the South, so look for a motel in Fayetteville first instead of Tullahoma.

BBQ branded goods are marked down to half price in the JD stores after the event ends, so if you are staying the weekend you can save a lot by holding off on souvenir purchases until Sunday afternoon.

Take the tour,at least once, eat at Miss Mary Bobo's if you can, make reservations now ! stop by our site and say hello :p

Stop by and say hi! Have fun. Pack boots (it can sometimes be very muddy). There are great antique shops in the village as well as the Jack store & Mrs. Mary Bobo's

Miss Mary Bobo's is a must, as is the distillery tour, lunch at the BBQ Caboose. Enjoy!

Read Rod Gray (pellet Envy) article on first timers at the Jack. I think its on his website. I know he just reposted it somewhere the other day. A lot of good information for first timers at the Jack.

and wear a fire suit if you stop by ISS!!! on Thursday night and Charlie isn't happy with the fire going in the pit!:laugh:

Maybe he didn't push the button right? :becky:

How big are the cooking sites? Is a 20x40 available for teams without RVs? We'll be bringing a camping tent and hope to be able to sleep on or near our site.

How big are the cooking sites? Is a 20x40 available for teams without RVs? We'll be bringing a camping tent and hope to be able to sleep on or near our site.

I will tell yo what happened to me in 09'. I told them a reg 20 x20 was fine. When I got there they gave me a 10x40 that was curved, half way in the pathway on the edge of the track. I refused it so they gave me a spot out back parking lot separated from the main contest by a ball field. My spot was I will say 200 x200. Having all that space was great but I felt like was in no mans land , it almost was like not being part of the contest. Still loved the experience regardless and would do it again in a heart beat

Be sure to let them know you plan to tent it, and bring an air mattress.

Some of the cook sites at the Jack are completely paved or gravelled; good for RVs, bad for tenters.

Back