MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Default NCPC Whole Hog Rule Changes

The North Carolina Pork Council which sanctions whole hog cook-off competitions, has just mandated new rules. Absolutely no sauce may be put on the pig, and absolutely no injecting. Either are grounds for disqualification. I am curious what the opinions are on this?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

I wasn't really impressed with them seeing them in person last weekend. But again, that may just be me. As for the rules, I guess it's all up to them. So it comes down to the cooking procedure.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
The North Carolina Pork Council which sanctions whole hog cook-off competitions, has just mandated new rules. Absolutely no sauce may be put on the pig, and absolutely no injecting. Either are grounds for disqualification. I am curious what the opinions are on this?
Just curious as to where you found out this information, as I was just on their website and it doesn't say anything about rule changes. It is information that is needed, as I am supposed to be judging for the NCPC in a couple weeks.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
E Mellow
On the road to being a farker

From the sounds of things the Pork Council wants to make this event all about the meat.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Some of the cook-offs probably will not implement these new rules since the cooks already signed an entry form with the old rules. The only rule that would affect the judge might be the one on sauce since you can see that one. You probably won't know if it was injected. I sent you a PM with more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
Just curious as to where you found out this information, as I was just on their website and it doesn't say anything about rule changes. It is information that is needed, as I am supposed to be judging for the NCPC in a couple weeks.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

So it's a meat competition instead of a cooking competition? Interesting take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Mellow View Post
From the sounds of things the Pork Council wants to make this event all about the meat.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
weatherman
Got Wood.

Default Changes

Not sure what I think about this. Part of the competition is taste and saucing and injecting contributes to that. As far as it turning more to meat then cooking... done is done and not done is not done. Sauces and injecting can't fix whether your hog is done or not. I can understand if the sauce or injection overpowers the taste of the meat, but then it should be scored accordingly. Will the judges still dip the meat into sauce when tasting? If so then why not be able to add taste to it while cooking. This is just my opinion though.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

The judges will still dip the meat in the sauce to taste, and your right that there is no substitute for cooking the pig right. It is either not done, done just right, or overcooked and dryed out possibly. The bottom line is, the only people that will be affected by the new rule changes are the cooks that score very high or win regularly. It appears they are trying to handicap the more experienced cooks who have spent their money and time perfecting their processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Not sure what I think about this. Part of the competition is taste and saucing and injecting contributes to that. As far as it turning more to meat then cooking... done is done and not done is not done. Sauces and injecting can't fix whether your hog is done or not. I can understand if the sauce or injection overpowers the taste of the meat, but then it should be scored accordingly. Will the judges still dip the meat into sauce when tasting? If so then why not be able to add taste to it while cooking. This is just my opinion though.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

The way I heard it is you can't use any outside heat sourses (blow torches) and you can't inject ANYTHING into the hog. From what I hear this was done to keep cooks from injecting oil into the hog to get your meat moist. The judges have always only dipped the meat into the sause anyway, and most events use thier own sause when they sell the plates to the public
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the insights. This is all very strange to me. Never cooked whole hog - although I'd like to try it one day.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

I would like to enter one of these, or at least judge it
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Foolish attempt to micro-manage cooks IMO. Rules like this, even when well intentioned, stifle creativity and don't help to advance BBQ. Wonder how the NC Pork Council would feel about being told by cooks how producers should feed their hogs?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote