Worst Box Judged

Not to hijack but....

That was his problem... He's a Grill Master when what he needed was a Pit Master...

(OK, side note... When dip stick was about to start his drive he introduced his wife and friend who were there to 'help him'... Some help, they didn't know how to load up the cooker???)

You aren't kidding, but any chef worth anything should be able to grill some chicken (I think he was direct cooking it).

But then most boxes would be DQ'd since they put a mound of pork in the center. Not distinguishable portions just a mound and no DQ. Is that really any different?

Shhhh you'll blow my cover. I'm incognito. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool
Sorry Skip, I know it's you (and I'm going to tell Julie on you!!!)...

5) A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires
approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:
All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for
unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples
of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for
sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign
object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not​
receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.

Actually a 'pile' of pulled pork would be a DQ as well if it was all stuck together and gravity didn't allow it to pull apart.

Based on the CBJ class that I took, if two pieces of brisket are not sliced completly through they should be concidered as one and if there is not enough in the box for each judge to have some it's a DQ. The same holds true for ribs to the point where the BOD stated that there must be 'at least 6 disernable servings (cut ribs)'. Now if you take this forward to your single chunk of meat I feel it would be DQ'd based on the following:

1) While there may be enough meat you can not assume that it is cut and therefore only a single serving where with a pile of pulled pork you can see that there are more than 6 servings. Remember, the BOD did not define the size of a serving.

2) Once the first judge picked up his/her portion (remember no shaking now) there would not be anything left for the other judges...

Nice try 'Skippy', but it didn't work... Now I have to call Julie (and you are in SOOOOOO much trouble!!!!)

You aren't kidding, but any chef worth anything should be able to grill some chicken (I think he was direct cooking it).
While I agree that he should have got his head out of his butt, I disagree with the 'direct cooking' of the chicken... It looked like it had a terminal case of smoke... What makes it worse is that it was his cooker (remember Dave's got the flat) and he should have known better....

Three separate events this year...

A. 1/2 chicken - one piece,
B. brisket must have been cooked to medium rare
(tough as leather and did not pull apart at all)
C. 1/2 rack rib - one piece

Sorry Skip, I know it's you (and I'm going to tell Julie on you!!!)...

5) A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires
approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:
All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for
unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples
of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for
sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign
object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not
receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.

Actually a 'pile' of pulled pork would be a DQ as well if it was all stuck together and gravity didn't allow it to pull apart.

Based on the CBJ class that I took, if two pieces of brisket are not sliced completly through they should be concidered as one and if there is not enough in the box for each judge to have some it's a DQ. The same holds true for ribs to the point where the BOD stated that there must be 'at least 6 disernable servings (cut ribs)'. Now if you take this forward to your single chunk of meat I feel it would be DQ'd based on the following:

1) While there may be enough meat you can not assume that it is cut and therefore only a single serving where with a pile of pulled pork you can see that there are more than 6 servings. Remember, the BOD did not define the size of a serving.

2) Once the first judge picked up his/her portion (remember no shaking now) there would not be anything left for the other judges...

Nice try 'Skippy', but it didn't work... Now I have to call Julie (and you are in SOOOOOO much trouble!!!!)

I had always thought the same thing Jeff. I figured a pile of pork was in fact a single serving and would be considered a DQ but unless you can remove that whole pile of meat you can't consider it one piece. Just as a rib that is stuck falls back to the box as you pick it up would not be a DQ. Although very close:eek::eek::eek:.
So the mound of pulled pork is a viable entry. Heck they give you forks for people to pick up their portion. With that being said a whole butt or picnic skillfully placed in the box would never stay together in one piece as people tried to remove it. With all the muscle strands you could claim distinguishable portions and with a little crush you could break it enough internally that it would not be parted but would be able to be disassembled. As long as there was a hunk left when the last person chose it would be legal.
Now we already know that there is a lot of interpretation among reps from different regions. So it could be that those you are accustom to may not allow, or better stated would agree to a DQ if it was a single mound. Where as those I know would not.
Please note I have been wrong about the reps before. lol

While I agree that he should have got his head out of his butt, I disagree with the 'direct cooking' of the chicken... It looked like it had a terminal case of smoke... What makes it worse is that it was his cooker (remember Dave's got the flat) and he should have known better....

terminal is right... Got to give you judges out there credit for going through boxes like that.

Holy crap Skip are you arguing Pork rules again? I'm shocked

Skip,

I'm sure that this whole discussion would be considered a MAJOR hijacking of this thread. It was in good nature when we started it, but now I'm getting the feeling that it's gone to far.

I'll PM you with my feelings about your post or we can start another thread to complete our discussion.

I apologize to Lake Dogs for the disruption.

If the pile of pork is pulled then it's legal as long as they don't sculpt it. If it is pulled and piled it should be a legal entry.

As far as entering those ribs. I suppose 1 point is better than 0.

Holy crap Skip are you arguing Pork rules again? I'm shocked

Nah not arguing just having fun with this. It was pretty funny to hear that someone had put a whole portion of a butt in a box. Very similar to the argument I raised about the pork rule

Skip,

I'm sure that this whole discussion would be considered a MAJOR hijacking of this thread. It was in good nature when we started it, but now I'm getting the feeling that it's gone to far.

I'll PM you with my feelings about your post or we can start another thread to complete our discussion.

I apologize to Lake Dogs for the disruption.

Yeah didn't mean to hijack the thread at all. I'm sorry if you felt the good natured air about the conversation changed. I was still having fun and wasn't taking any of it too serious. I'd like to hear your response to it all. Either way would work. Its all good Jeff. :lol:

Sorry for the hijack Lake Dog. I didn't mean to steer your thread in the wrong direction. :lol:

Bird

Three separate events this year...

A. 1/2 chicken - one piece,
B. brisket must have been cooked to medium rare
(tough as leather and did not pull apart at all)
C. 1/2 rack rib - one piece

If that chicken was in Shrewsbury, I know the guy who hadn't a clue.

Yeah didn't mean to hijack the thread at all. I'm sorry if you felt the good natured air about the conversation changed. I was still having fun and wasn't taking any of it too serious. I'd like to hear your response to it all. Either way would work. Its all good Jeff. :lol:

Sorry for the hijack Lake Dog. I didn't mean to steer your thread in the wrong direction. :lol:
It's all good bro!

Tell you what, we can both take on the rules committee in Philly... LOL

(BTW, I'm still telling Julie!!!!)

I'd just like to say I am proud to see there are NOT any pictures in this thread. Especially with every cell phone including a camera these days, it's great to see folks are respecting the rules inside the judging tent.

I didn't see or taste it, but its still the talk around the PNWBA Judges circles.

Someone cooked a Corned Beef and submitted it as a Brisket turn in!
Pike Place Market, Seattle 2007

6 "grilled" hotdogs in the sausage category at the 2007 American Royal with no garnish.:eek:

A chicken entry turned in with roasted sweet potatoes for garnish. Needless to say, it was a first time cook who had skipped the meeting.

OK - here's a quote that I made in another thread:

As a judge I have seen boxes that you would not believe: KCBS chicken entry with foil under an uncut half chicky; another KCBS chicken entry with bunches of red & purple grapes for garnish; KCBS pork entry that had two hoagie rolls (each cut into thirds) in the box, making 6 little sammies; totally burnt (or raw) meat; the list goes on and on. I keep asking myself if some of these guys don't even bother to check the rules of the contest or attend the cooks' meeting :rolleyes:.
They are probably the same ones that I hear muttering during the awards ceremony that "everyone that tasted my BBQ says that it's the best ... blah, blah, blah ... what's the matter with these jerks?"

I have also seen Red tipped lettuce, foil (more than once), celery, tomato slices, toothpicks, butcher's twine and a piece of unidentified vegetable matter in the turn in box.
Along with the half-a-bird mentioned above, there have been ribs, pork slices and brisket that were not cut all of the way through, sometimes leaving less than the 6 required pieces. This is another good reason to put 7 or more pieces in the box!
Burnt chicken - I mean BURNT!!! One entry was damn near charcoal, thankfully it went to the table next to me, not mine :eek:. Sliced pork (the same one that didn't cut the slices all the way through) that was so raw that it was "tow-strap tough".

The vast majority of the entries will score a 7 or higher - but you sure do remember the terrible ones :roll:.

By the way, I've only judged for three years and still need one more comp for my Master CBJ. All of the contests that I've been to have been KCBS.

Back