Ugh...not another...

iamthewreckingcrew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Turkey thread. :rolleyes:

I've been reading all the turkey threads lately to get ready to smoke mine on the UDS. Mine will be just shy of 14 lbs.

My plan so far:

Going to rub it down with some butter and herb mixture and let it ride breast side up on the UDS. Can I cook it directly on the grate? I'm not planning on catching the drippings for gravy or anything. Should I still catch them for basting? Or is that not needed? This bird will just be an extra. Mom is making one in the oven also. They just wanted me to try one on the smoker and bring it along to dinner.

My target cooking temp will be 325. Is that hot enough? I'm wondering how long to cook. Is there a time/per pound rule of thumb for turkey? Or just done when it's hot enough?

I guess I'm going to finally invest in a meat thermometer also as I've never cooked a turkey and don't want to poison anyone.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice, and I plan on taking some pics of the pron as I get to each stage. Good or bad, the proof will be here. :shock:

I did two on my FEC-100 today on the grid at 320 and they took 3 3/4 hours for 15lb. Didnt catch any drippings and did the butter slather as well. I also put butter under the skin. Dont forget to ice the breast before cooking.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on icing the breast also. And I kept eyeballing the package of bacon in the fridge wondering how it would be to make a bacon "bra" for my turkey. How did yours turn out with the bacon covering?

I did a bacon covered turkey a while back. I'm not sure if aI really noticed any difference in the meat, but it looked nice :-D If you like crispy turkey skin the bacon would have to be removed at some point to let the skin crisp up.

Well, I got up early and started to prep for my turkey burn. Started the coals in the chimney, filled the coal basket on the UDS with some Stumps and apple chips and knocked some ice off of the lid of the UDS. Mixed up my butter/herb concoction, pulled the giblets and neck out, rinsed the bird and stuffed the butter and herb mixture under the skin on the breast and slathered all over the outside.

I got in a hurry and ditched the bacon bra idea. Also forgot to take before pics. But, there will be some pron, I swear!

Back