Lighter Fluid... UGH!!!

Smokin Gator

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last night I finally had a chance to fire up the medium BGE I rebuilt (I will post pics later). Just thought I would do something simple so burgers it was. After the were cooked and rested I made a big old burger with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Sat down to enjoy the savory goodness of a juicy burger.... FARK!!!!!

They guy must have used some lighter fluid in the egg at some point. I could not believe how nasty that stuff is. It has been a long time since I tasted it.

I went back out and opened the vents and let a whole load of lump burn. I hope that took care of it!!!

I know what you mean. I went to a bbq joint about a month ago for lunch and got the 2 meat plate, ribs and sliced brisket. The ribs were OK but when I bit into the brisket it tasted like it been soaked in lighter fluid:mad: I crossed that place off my list real quick.

Nothing like being at a cookoff and catch a whiff of lighter fluid
floating in the air...

Always think to myself...

Well, theres one team here I might be able to beat..:biggrin:

try cooking in a local rib burn with a bunch of weekend warrior backyard guys...
you will be sick from the amount of lighter fluid fumes in the air..along with the 90 percent of them over smoking everything with mesquite

Never forget our first comp, the team across from us loaded their firebox up withe charcoal ,and dumped an entire bottle of lighter fluid ontop,, one of those big bottles,,, then just tossed a match on it,,,, huge flames, and the smell was terrible. A simple chimney would work better..lol..

I guess I'm in shock that someone would even think of using it INSIDE a BGE!!! Let alone use it at a comp!

I'll be the first to admit that I have, in the past, used it at the church picnic, but that was years and years ago... I am currently the owner of 4 chimneys that are all going to start the grill for the picnic now!

A buddy of mine when to a local Q joint for V-day. Said the brisket was so rubbery and had the flavor of lighter fluid. He called the the waiter over who refused to taste his meal. He left without taking another bite and paying only for the drinks.

At Libertville IL this fall, two guys showed up Sat. morning. They took out two charcoal grills, one large bag of charcoal, and two big bottles of lighter fluid. Used both bottles, threw a match, and stunk up the joint. Ribs on and off in an hour, turned in and out the gate. A nice sat. morning it was. Happy I wasn't downwind.:-D

At Libertville IL this fall, two guys showed up Sat. morning. They took out two charcoal grills, one large bag of charcoal, and two big bottles of lighter fluid. Used both bottles, threw a match, and stunk up the joint. Ribs on and off in an hour, turned in and out the gate. A nice sat. morning it was. Happy I wasn't downwind.:-D
I remember that!!! I was over by Tonto and Walt... We were down wind...

My father used to burn the stuff in his Model A during WWII gas rationing.
That was the only good use for it. :biggrin:

I used to use straight gasoline to light the grill back in the 80's.

Burned much cleaner than thos waxed patroleum lighter fluids

Saw a great amount of fluid used by one team my first time out.........just so happens the team was Jacks Old South..........guess it ain't all bad, I hear they do ok. LOL

But the stuff ain't for me either.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad used to always start our Charcoal grill with Gasoline...It was a lot of fun watch him throw the match on it...

When I was kid, my mom used coleman fuel to lite up a pile of leaves in the back yard. The flash was amazing. So amazing that her hair caught fire.

Remember the evil empire is