Infrared Thermometer

Cooter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Christmas is Coming... Does anybody have an Infrared Thermometers? The prices seem to be getting in the $20-50 range for some now.

Seems you could just aim it a spot of a UDS and get a temp of that spot.

If you have one, is it accurate compared to a thermo inside?

Christmas is Coming... Does anybody have an Infrared Thermometers? The prices seem to be getting in the $20-50 range for some now.

Seems you could just aim it a spot of a UDS and get a temp of that spot.

If you have one, is it accurate compared to a thermo inside?

I've fooled around with both an IR thermometer and a thermal imager. both are fun, but I don't see the IR thermometer replacing the standard smoker thermometer (mechanical or digital) I want to know what the temperature is with the door closed, not with the door open. I've also observed that wind will alter the outside temp of the smoker suffficently that you cannot get a good read on internal temp. That being said, You can use it to look for hotspots and it's great fro taking surface temps of meat when you are holding or to takethe temp of a grill surface or frying pan.

Some folks here have been know to use them as hot-azz-meters :razz:

I have one, that I use to check the temp of ICs. I've played with it when I'm cooking. It will tell me the approximate surface temp of the meat or the grate etc... It's fun, but not especially usefull.

Making sure the signature wouldn't confuse a rotary wing platform?:wink::cool:

It all depends on which generation FLIR you have. Supercool it for increased resolution and then both optomechanicaly and softwear filter for specific frequency and spectral signature. Now if you want to mask your smoker from the ground so that some chopper-cop can't come and steal your fatties is another problem. I'll need to go back and read-up on black-body radiation because I've forgotten most of it :wink:

We will haveto get Jay to chime-in. Sounds like he's gonna be doing a lot of this http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=500759&postcount=5

Jorge tending his smoker

Helicopter_attack_550.jpg

Never forget your IFFN

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/helicopterkills.mpg

This is the infrared that I have. It is fun and useful. Not so much for BBQ but it is in the kitchen. I use it when I make beer, oil in a fryer and in a skillet, and to see how cold my beer is. There are multiple uses. I think this one runs under $100. I still use my thermapen when I need a probe but, this also makes for a nice back up.

9306Large.jpg

It all depends on which generation FLIR you have. Supercool it for increased resolution and then both optomechanicaly and softwear filter for specific frequency and spectral signature. Now if you want to mask your smoker from the ground so that some chopper-cop can't come and steal your fatties is another problem. I'll need to go back and read-up on black-body radiation because I've forgotten most of it :wink:

Ok, now my head hurts.... :wink:

Chopper-cops welcome here, backyard is big enough to land in. Will trade a fattie for a chopper ride along...

I will get a normal thermo, not the same cool factor as pointing a laser, but more accurate.

Thanks

Back