• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking homemade sauce in bbq instead of stovetop?

tinman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody does this with their homemade sauces? I have developed three sauces that I am in love with, but am always tweeking them. I have one that my family loves a little bit of liquid smoke added....which I hate doing. The kids use it on everything that's not BBQed though, so I always do one batch with and one without. I keep wondering if preparing it in the UDS in a dutch oven might add a rich smoke flavor? Anybody do this?

I don't but, I got other tricks.

1. I use smoked salt and smoked paprika to add smoke flavor to a condiment that otherwise doesn't see smoke.

2. I use smoked jalapenos, I prefer to smoke the green ones. You can do same with milder peppers.

3. I use meat trimmings. There are always chunks of left over bark and pieces of meat I opt not to serve, these get frozen until I choose to make sauce, then I add them in.

4. If I am panning or foil wrapping, I freeze the drippings, it is smoky, fatty and salty, add some of that to the mix, best liquid smoker ever.

I do I park it on the back of the grate and let it chuckle away for and hr or so give it a stir and let it go another 30 min. let it cool and bottle it up. You will never touch that evil bottle again.

I don't see why it won't work, and ^^^^ is the only reason one would ever do it.

That's kind of how I feel about it, I think liquid smoke is nasty. I might try it tomorrow and see. I do like the idea of using drippings and such as well. A while back I had some terrible Q from a local place boasting all kinds of awards, but they had a sauce served in a little cup that obviously had some kind of drippings in it. It was rich, smokey, buttery, spicy.....outstanding sauce.... But it didn't look like some commercially prepared stuff form the obvious presence of some fat drippings I could see in it.

Here's a couple of more ways to add smoke flavor to a sauce or other recipes too for that matter. Sub chipotle pepper for any heat value pepper you use. Use smoked salt for your sodium ration. I'm sure there are still more ways we haven't even thought about yet.

yes...to start smoke the peppers, oinions and garlic..even add a lil rub and salt to them..puree and you will have some good stuff there...also, in a throwaway tin, pour your sauce in, and run thru the smoker a couple hours while doing other meats in smoker..

Back