MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is your average TARGET cooking temp for Brisket. NOT INTERNAL, the house temp
180-200 Fopr total smoking NOT ring set 1 1.23%
225-240 23 28.40%
250 to 325 51 62.96%
330-350 5 6.17%
355 to - anything below 425 BLAZING SPEEDS 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
When I mainly used my Chargriller w/SFB, the best I could get was about 225. On a good day, had a little more range up to 275. With the UDS, I have been cooking brisket in the 275 -290 range and love it. The brisket is good and I don't have to spend all day baby sitting the cooker.
I am willing to bet my UDS at high temp will be stellar.... maybe I can crank to 350... I have uped the inlets to one inch, four of them

Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #32
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

275 all the way works and I don't mess with success
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #33
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
tender and drenching like a hot 3rd cousin in the back seat of my Corvair after we both ate a spiked Cantelope at my family reunion.
The time I saved switching to hot & fast just got wasted on the time I'll be spending cleaning up my keyboard and monitor!!

Ramp up from 250 to 325 now!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #34
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Anybody have thoughts on ramping temps up or down during a cook?

Wondering if varying temps to hit a target time for a brisket to be ready would be a valid strategy - normally it'd probably be ramping up, cause if you get done early you can just hold it in the cooler. I would imagine the comp folks would have some insights into this.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

My first 3 briskets I followed Donny's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQCeXzhWz3U) to a T. Pan temp foil etc.
My last two I didnt have time to babysit due to family in town and what not.

Parked the UDS at 300* trimmed rubbed and threw on the Brisket. 10 hours later pulled off the following.
No panning, no wrapping, No flipping.

Anyone who knows the walmart turkey frying thermos, know that 300* is straight up and you can see it on the third picture. Note, its the second thermo. The top walmart thermo is my probe to test for doneness.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #36
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I hereby Bump this poll since we are discussing it anyway.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #37
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

When I learned to smoek, I'd target 225 to 250. But my last brisket the temps were more 275 to 300 at times. Still tasted about the same. :shrug:

Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

300-325

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody think it's curious that 3 of the 4 ranges are 15-20 degrees wide, and the one that the vast majority fall into is 75 degrees wide?

Skewed poll.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post
Anybody think it's curious that 3 of the 4 ranges are 15-20 degrees wide, and the one that the vast majority fall into is 75 degrees wide?

Skewed poll.
I didn't think we were to talk politics in threads. ;)

Sorry, I read poll and that is all I can think of, the mind control commercials are working.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #41
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

300 on the LBGE
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post

Skewed poll.
Much more fair mod this way.

There is a reason its that way. It has little to do with skewing the results and its due to the accepted realms of norm that have been discussed for years or that have been published.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 11-02-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #43
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

300 on my stickburner, 275 on my UDS for whole cook

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #44
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

42BBQ - I finally found a use for the UDS the other day. I had 4 butts frozen that were smoked and and 4 more raw. I had a quick call to make a crap load of pork tacos. I mean like the day before. Luckily I had the presmoked.

I chopped fist size chunks and boiled the four raw butts in a strong spice stock with onions and peppers too, quick thawed the other for smoked ones. combined them for maybe a two hour simmer and then plopped them my huge flat grill when I was outside for show and to get another carmelization on them.

They were so good I could see me makin money on the street every day selling these and only needing to smoke a few (which could low smoke while I am gone) every other day in a UDS.

Edict.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #45
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

depends on what flavor profile I am looking for, what I have seen on my cookers is the flavor is better 275/325 however the texture of the meat for slicing is different than when I cook at 225 /250...
also, depends on the cut, I assume your are talking packer here and if going higher I leave fat cap heavier or if cooking at or under 265..then I trim most of it off..also the skrinkage rate is higher with the faster cooks....something like jumping in a real cold swimming pool....lots of skrinkage...