Spatchcock,Brined Chicken

nolaman

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My first time doing chickens this way. The weather is in the toilet, again this weekend..Don't want another episode like last week, trying to smoke a butt in the rain! We want to eat TODAY, so I'm gonna roast em in da oven! My question is by preparing the chickens this way does it change the cooking any different than normal roasting? The chickens weighed 4 1/2 lbs. each. At what temp. should the oven be? I'm thinking 350* for 1 hr. , does this seem appropiate and what internal temp.do you think it should be? Where's the best place to check , breast or thigh?

Everything sounds about right and check in the thigh....I pull my chicken a 165 thigh temp. I think it's moister that way...make sure you read the meat temp and not the bone temp..

spatchcock,brined chicken

Ok! Spatchcock I know , Ive done several.You're losing me on "brind".What do you do with a brine? Sorry, I'm lost about that.:?::biggrin:

brine chicken

Is there a recipe for the brine? Is it designed to " flavor " it , or some other purpose.? I hate being so ignorant , I've just never heard of that. I'm aware of doing that with squirel and maybe rabbit , but not chicken.:oops:

Is there a recipe for the brine? Is it designed to " flavor " it , or some other purpose.? I hate being so ignorant , I've just never heard of that. I'm aware of doing that with squirel and maybe rabbit , but not chicken.:oops:
You can go to the bottom of this page to the google custom search bar,type in: chicken brine recipe. sfbbqguy posted a site I found helpful http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101#To528293329 I customized a recipe to suit my own needs. My son is visiting with us, is a diabetic so I omitted the sugar, and used a 50/50 mix of apple juice, and water. I cut the gallon recipe in 1/2. A quart in each gallon size ziplock,squeezing the air out was enough to cover the chicken. I marinaded the birds overnight, about 15 hrs. Drained, rinsed throughly,patted dry. placed in a pan, put back in the fridge to dry out the skin, about 4 hrs. Couldn't grill or smoke.Rained all day. Roasted in the oven. The meat was moist, tender, full of flavor. My only objection, I found the skin a little rubbery. Perhaps I need to let it dry longer.I will definetly try this again!!

Back