New UDS Idea

TNinSC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Started thinking about building another UDS this weekend. I would like to hear what everbody thinks about a new design. I was thinking about building a 55 gal. UDS inside of an 85 gal. drum. The in takes will go thru the 85 gal. into the 55 gal. The space in between the 55 and the 85 will be filled with sand to insulate the 55 gal drum. Just let me know your input on this.

HEAVY DRUM!!! I hope yo have casters for it!!

It's a good idea. I've thought about it too. However, sand isn't a good insulation material. All you need is the dead air space.

Air gap might be sufficient.

Wonder if a water heater blanket would fit?

Go for it! Personally I don't feel it's necessary, but what the hell do I know?

100_1351.jpg

100_1353.jpg

100_1351.jpg

This was my first drum and it held steady temps for almost 16 hours in freezing conditions.

If a plain UDS will hold 225* for 14 hours in snow I have nothing to worry about.

I'd build a small and a big instead

Buy a welding blanket from Harbor Freight Tools...or some other cheapo. It is good to 1000 degrees. Even here in SoCal, I lay it over the food section of my BarBChef offset. It helps keep the temperature even and might reduce fuel usage. It would be relatively easy to make a jacket out of it for your drum...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41506

We talked about this before.
Just use a donor barrel split down the side with the top and bottom cut off for the outside. Wrap the insulation around the first one then wrap the split barrel around the insulation.
This is a project I am working on.

Buy a welding blanket from Harbor Freight Tools...or some other cheapo. It is good to 1000 degrees. Even here in SoCal, I lay it over the food section of my BarBChef offset. It helps keep the temperature even and might reduce fuel usage. It would be relatively easy to make a jacket out of it for your drum...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41506

One small bit of advice... them welding blankets from harbor freight will not withstand a deflected blast from a weedburner. Don't ask me why I know this....

My UKS held 225*F this last weekend both Sat and Sun for 16 hours and when I shut it down, it still had a bunch of coals! I will have to run it till it burns out sometime so I can figure out the max-runtime.

One small bit of advice... them welding blankets from harbor freight will not withstand a deflected blast from a weed burner. Don't ask me why I know this....
A propane torch gets to 1300 - 1600.. The weed burner averages 1200 according the the quick Google search I did.

Love those pics cooking the snow. I sure miss those days. Fired up my bandera in 9 degrees one morning.

I'd say just build two UDS ESSSSESSSS, or would it be UDI for plural? Anyway, they already maintain steady temps for so long that I don't see why this would make them better.

I would say, why not make something really cool like a huge indirect smoker? Make the 85 open like a fridge and pipe the 55 into it!

UDS test burn went better than I thought

I posted my results after my test burn on my UDS and I was at work when I created the thread. I wasn't sure how much was in the RO bag of lump so I checked online from the store where I bought it. I stopped off today to but more and the bag I looked at online was 18 pounds but the one I buy is 9 pounds! That means I got 17 hours+ on 9 pounds, in the rain. The UDS performs just as it is.

Back