MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey
Default Redbud wood

I've done a lot of searching these forums and on google. Supposedly it is safe to use. I did some trimming last month on a redbud that was growing into my service lines going to the house. I've got the limbs cut up into small chunks and sitting in the garage to season. Come spring, I'll find out how it tastes. if it is good...might have to do some more trimming...for safety's sake. I'll update once I try it, but wanted to get the thread in for anyone who has previous experience or wants to watch it.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

Interested to see how that comes out. I really do not think that it is going to be a good wood for smoking. I kind of put redbud in the other fast growing tree category of elm, tallow, etc. Seems like your better smoking woods are more dense slower growing material, such as hickory, oak, mesquite, etc.

But what the heck, give it a try.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Redbud is of the same family as mesquite, honey locust, and acacia, cooking woods that have very strong smoke, use it sparingly until you can determine whether the smoke flavor is palatable to you.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll let you know...someone is giving me some redbud but it has to dry out.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

The Redbud I remember was excellent for smoking! Of course my memory is not that good.
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey

Thought I'd give an update on this type of wood. I've used it grilling up chicken thighs and some homemade bratwurst. Both turned out really good. It does taste a bit different, but good. Tastes great for (relatively) free!

Thanks from:--->

Tags
red bud, redbud