Now I see why Johnny Trigg says he doesn't eat his comp ribs.

If sweet BBQ brings the highest scores, it's not the recipe or the cook, it's the judges. That's what wins. Trying to change hearts and minds with competition entries seems foolish when money is on the line.

I agree with this!

As brethren these conversations are fun in person with jabs and laughs to be had all around. But online, banter sometimes comes off as harsh or bristly.

Don't give up, walk away or quit the good fight. Buy the Pit Barrel Cooker. :bow:

But can you wrap and hang sweet ribs on a PBC? :wacko:

I may buy on just to find out

After all it is supporting a Vet :thumb:

Here's the reality of it- BBQ teams are scored, giving them the ability to tweak their recipes and methods until they're turning out a somewhat consistent product that will score the most points. Teams that compete a lot are going to have an even greater advantage because they can start throwing out higher and lower scores, because those could be flukes, focus on the exact method on the top third of their entries, and further tweak their product for the highest placement. I suspect that the top-scoring teams keep pretty exact notes when they're entering contests. If I had that kind of money and time dedicated to competition BBQ, I'd want to know exactly what we did differently to score higher or lower, and I'd want to be able to throw my hands in the air and say I don't know why we got X this time instead of Y.

If sweet BBQ brings the highest scores, it's not the recipe or the cook, it's the judges. That's what wins. Trying to change hearts and minds with competition entries seems foolish when money is on the line.

Not trying to start anything but money isn't everything. Although I see your point to an extent about the judges and maybe they are the real issue maybe that means we should all get certified as judges and change that culture for the better. Just a thought.

Not trying to start anything but money isn't everything. Although I see your point to an extent about the judges and maybe they are the real issue maybe that means we should all get certified as judges and change that culture for the better. Just a thought.

They're not barbecue exhibitions, they're competitions. If a pro team isn't competing for a trophy and a check, why in the world are they showing up? There are a bunch of less expensive ways to throw a party. If judges prefer sweet barbecue seemingly nationwide and across multiple circuits, I think it's pretty fair to say that a pattern has developed.

Well I'm a nobody in the world of competition BBQ, but I will weigh in anyway. Even though I know that like most of my posts in long threads like this one it will either be completely ignored or it will bring a three day awkward silence to the thread that will be broken by everyone continuing the previous debate with no regard to what I'm about to say.

Now like I said I'm nobody in Comp Q, but I started out copying the Trigg style like everyone else. I had very mixed results turning in the super sweet ribs(and they most definitely were super sweet). Then one day I decided to stop foiling all together and only use a typical rub that has just a bit of sweetness. I started getting calls much more consistently. I do still hit them with a sweet and spicy glaze, but the sweet is ON the meat instead of IN the meat like it would be when I foiled.

Well I'm a nobody in the world of competition BBQ, but I will weigh in anyway. Even though I know that like most of my posts in long threads like this one it will either be completely ignored or it will bring a three day awkward silence to the thread that will be broken by everyone continuing the previous debate with no regard to what I'm about to say.

Now like I said I'm nobody in Comp Q, but I started out copying the Trigg style like everyone else. I had very mixed results turning in the super sweet ribs(and they most definitely were super sweet). Then one day I decided to stop foiling all together and only use a typical rub that has just a bit of sweetness. I started getting calls much more consistently. I do still hit them with a sweet and spicy glaze, but the sweet is ON the meat instead of IN the meat like it would be when I foiled.

:clap2::bow:

They're not barbecue exhibitions, they're competitions. If a pro team isn't competing for a trophy and a check, why in the world are they showing up? There are a bunch of less expensive ways to throw a party. If judges prefer sweet barbecue seemingly nationwide and across multiple circuits, I think it's pretty fair to say that a pattern has developed.

To show off and most the people that show up don't win money. I am not saying money isn't nice but there is more to it then that. I mean come on if you win you get bragging rights.

Parkey on my ribs is like BBQ sauce in a Martini.... (hey that MIGHT be good to some of you).

This topic has been tossed around over and over. Comp BBQ is NOT backyard, front yard or side yard BBQ. It is not even good restaurant food. It's a game, played for the "judges".

guys, however a person wants to cook, judge, eat, buy, or complain is open. BBQ is great for debate...the other side doesn't always suck...just most of the time..

Well, for whatever it's worth I've been in 3 comps. The first (Wildwood, NJ), I decided to do the ribs I sell in the farmer's market. I learned hard and fast that's NOT what the judges look for. By the third comp (Atlantic City this past October) I placed 28th out of 85 teams (not great compared to a lot of guys on here but I was stoked). The only thing I did was go with the flow and sweeten my ribs up a bit (and learned to cut the ribs so they all looked the same). There's NO WAY I would consider selling those comp ribs at the market (far too much time and effort involved)....but it's obvious to me comp ribs need to be sweeter...

Well, for whatever it's worth I've been in 3 comps. The first (Wildwood, NJ), I decided to do the ribs I sell in the farmer's market. I learned hard and fast that's NOT what the judges look for. By the third comp (Atlantic City this past October) I placed 28th out of 85 teams (not great compared to a lot of guys on here but I was stoked). The only thing I did was go with the flow and sweeten my ribs up a bit (and learned to cut the ribs so they all looked the same). There's NO WAY I would consider selling those comp ribs at the market (far too much time and effort involved)....but it's obvious to me comp ribs need to be sweeter...

Region has a lot to do with it as well. Living in Northwest Louisiana there's A LOT of east Texas influence here and "sweet" BBQ of any kind (not just ribs) to the general public around these parts is not popular at all. Whether the sweetness comes from the rub, sauce or both.

But most folks around here (and I'm the same way) do not eat ribs with sauce anyway. The dry rub and smoke is king. It is very common to hear the statement "If you have to put sauce on your ribs then they're not very good to begin with." Granted, it's all about preference and that's what makes BBQ great. There's not just one way to prepare and eat it.

I make our comp ribs at home all the time, but I have two kids that kinda dig the pig candy. They also like "helping" Dad smear all that stuff on the ribs too. Probably the only time I can get them involved on BBQn, so I'll take what I can get. :mrgreen:

Sadly, competition BBQ has very little resemblance to anything you would cook for your family or friends. I think we are starting to see a small swing back toward more standard methods though.

Back