MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

Question my plant manager wants a quote for 30

The plant manager where I work wants me to quote him dinner for 30 plant workers they are wanting pulled pork and brisket. I need help pricing and menu. They usually order from texas road house. So I need to be close on the quote. I'm thinking they usually spend around 6 to 700.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Need some details: are you doing the whole thing? Meat, sides, drinks, dessert, paper/plastic?
Is so, $20 per is not at all unreasonable. If you cook on-site add another $150 or so. If you need to "hire" servers add $20 per staff per hour.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

The dinner will be self serve and he wants all the meats and sides done, not sure about deserts, we will use the paper plates and plastic utinsels that we have at work. I probably cook offsite.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
chad

Well, pork is relatively cheap and beef, not so much. I'd figure rough cost at $3 for meat and maybe $.75 per side. Add it up and multiply by 4 to keep a rough 25% food cost then multiply that by 30 to get a the total per plate. Or, figure per pound, delivered: maybe $10 for pork and $12 for beef and some pricing for the sides...add them up and add 10 hours of labor to the total.
Lots of ways to get there, it just depends on how hard you want to work and how much compensation you need.

Example:
10# pork @ $10 per lb. = $100
10# beef @ $12 per lb. = $120
30 orders slaw - $45
30 orders pot salad $45
10 hours labor @ $15 per = $150
Total: $310 + 150 = $480

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I do brisket, pork and two sides dropped off 30 people for $12.95pp If your going to set up a buffet and maintain it for an hour including the paper plates, flatware etc and you are not a business with all the overhead I think you could do that meal in the $425 range easy and turn a decent fair profit.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Well, pork is relatively cheap and beef, not so much. I'd figure rough cost at $3 for meat and maybe $.75 per side. Add it up and multiply by 4 to keep a rough 25% food cost then multiply that by 30 to get a the total per plate. Or, figure per pound, delivered: maybe $10 for pork and $12 for beef and some pricing for the sides...add them up and add 10 hours of labor to the total.
Lots of ways to get there, it just depends on how hard you want to work and how much compensation you need.

Example:
10# pork @ $10 per lb. = $100
10# beef @ $12 per lb. = $120
30 orders slaw - $45
30 orders pot salad $45
10 hours labor @ $15 per = $150
Total: $310 + 150 = $480
10 hrs wont cover the prep and set up time let alone cooking and running around?
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba

Unless your cooking all the time you cant make money on a party of 30 nor will you be able to compete with the raunts pricing.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Unless your cooking all the time you cant make money on a party of 30 nor will you be able to compete with the raunts pricing.

While I understand where you are coming from as a business I disagree somewhat. I think he can purchase the needed supplies to this for a ball park of $150 and at my suggested $425 he could make $275. If he is in business then no way he can make a profit after he feeds all the hands that be. But on the other hand if he is just doing this for his boss and a company dinner it's an extra $275 which comes in handy with Christmas right around the corner. His boss has already told him he pays Texas Roadhouse $600-$700 for something like this.

I used to feel like I could not turn a profit on something smaller than 50 people but I lowered my minimum to a $250 order for a drop off and I have done very well this year and picked up some great customers because I did so.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have a business yet This will be my first paying gig, besides doing a festival a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking somewhere around the 600-700 dollar range I don't want to short change myself. I did find out today that the estimate of 800 that the company spent on the Texas Road House was about 200 more than I thought. I think for 700 I could do a little more like maybe some kind of appitizer and desert.

any suggestions on the menu would be great. we know pulled pork and brisket is what they want.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

700/30= $23.33 per person

I have to taste your brisket and pork if it is worth that. $15/pound is what Franklin gets for his brisket. It takes balls to charge more than that per person.

YMMV

If you charge that much, at least pick up some high end cheesecake and provide cans of coke.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
jacksons31
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I agree with the above, in my area if I charged over $500 I'd be ripping your boss one. Don't think that's the avenue u want to start on. As I gather this is pretty much a 30 person drop off. There utensils/tables.

12-15 a head (depending how confident u r in the quality of your q) * 30 = 360 to 450

This is pretty typical pricing for 2 meats/2 sides, IMO.
jacksons31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
landarc

I would get the menu, that is where you start and where things go wrong as well. Do not assume anyhting. You need to know about sides, meats, sauces, dessert, appetizer any other food items. Then assuming that the utensils, plates, napkins, cups are all there already, best to make sure. What about keeping things hot, or cold, is that all accounted for?

Not to be the nay sayer, but, if you are planning on charging, and making money, and being in business, learn to do it right. And don't take jobs from others, unless you are willing to do it right, or do it for free. IMO, you are asking professionals (or former professionals, in my case) for their hard earned knowledge, best to do it right and learn how to make money, not just undercut someone else.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

If I were you, I would do all free for my boss.
I will give all bills to my boss and he pays only real cost.
I will not earn any profit
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
smokeitupbbq

Sounds like a great idea to make some $$$. Next time he'll ask you to do it all for free.
Don't get taken advantage of. Decide on your menu, stick to your pricing as long as your confident in your Q, If they don't want to pay what it's worth, let them order from texas roadhouse.
Just did this kind of thing for an old company/boss and they tried giving me the shaft afterwards on real cost/food cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
If I were you, I would do all free for my boss.
I will give all bills to my boss and he pays only real cost.
I will not earn any profit
[B][COLOR="Gray"]Pitmaster - Kelham Stephenson.
Public Vending, Private Catering & Events.[/COLOR][/B]
[FONT="Impact"][COLOR="Red"]www.smokeitupbbqkitchen.com[/COLOR][/FONT]
[B][COLOR="Black"]720-431-4945[/COLOR][/B]
smokeitupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
jacksons31

Just be careful, and remember not to let the evil $ mess with a good thing. Seen money or the greed for such ruin more than I can count.
jacksons31 is offline   Reply With Quote