Meadowcreek SQ36

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any Brethren using a Meadowcreek SQ36? I want one so that I can learn true offset smoking. I currently only have my UDS. I love the UDS but am thinking of competing/selling Que in a few years. They are a bit salty ($1K to start) but I have seen enough of posts about el cheapo stuff that has to be modded in ridiculous ways just to get the right temps, I am willing to pay a higher price initially. And for those who use Meadowcreek smokers, the TS250 is about 5 years in my future. Also should mention, they are built about 20 minutes from my house by Amishmen.

I'm not familiar with this particular manufacturer, but from what I see online -- http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store/SQ36_Barbeque_Smoker-pid-58-3.html -- it seems solid enough but a bit pricey. Once you are talking about spending over $900, I'd shop around a bit. Local is good and you save on transport/shipping, but once you are spending big bucks, you should spend wisely and check out all of your options. I know for a fact that "true" offset smoking, as you put it, can be accomplished for less cash without "ridiculous" mods.

I've made zero mods, for example, to my "el cheapo" char-griller smokin pro and have had zero trouble controlling temps. I do hope to upgrade to a more solid and lasting piece of equipment at some point when I'm ready to spend $$$ on equipment instead of on food (and frankly www.gatorpit.net is where my eyes keep returning, for whatever that is worth), but I see no reason to rush ahead. In my experience, if you can master BBQ on cheap equipment, you shouldn't have any problems adjusting to primo equipment down the road.

Just my two cents.

Never heard of them, but as jlondon said, they seem well built although pricey. Did you check out where it said 15 to 20 pounds of charcoal to get started! Everyone on the forum talks about offsets being fuel hogs, but thats really a bit much. I can get my NB Bandera up to temp leveled off and ready to cook on about 5 pounds and a log or two of wood. That initial fuel will go almost two hours. 20 pounds would keep it going for 10 to 15 hours depending on other variables. (ie. wind, outside temp) Others talk about their Weber's and UDS's and how long they get with very little fuel. As for temp control, it just takes practice. I had the Bandera dialed in in a very short time. I actually had more problems after doing the mods, but have control back again, after about half a doz burns.

Back