MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #406
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Will the Brethren be notified of the soft opening?
Most likely. Just need to settle on some dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what are you doing for flavors?

This is que talk baby and you know how we are.
As for the flavor profile, I use oak and apple wood. Brisket gets treated with salt and pepper, while pork gets a good dose of rub that's a touch sweet with brown sugar. And then I have three sauces. A sort of Kansas City style tomato-based sauce that's just a little sweet, a spicy tomato based sauce, and a Carolina style vinegar sauce. Meat is all served dry so that people can choose their sauce, or none at all.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #407
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Meat is all served dry so that people can choose their sauce, or none at all.
You're my hero! I'm constantly having to ASK to leave the sauce off...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #408
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You're my hero! I'm constantly having to ASK to leave the sauce off...
Same here!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #409
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Good thinking, let the customer decide.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #410
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, around here you can't find BBQ that isn't absolutely swimming in sauce. It's ridiculous. You order a pulled pork sandwich and it's more like a sloppy joe. Disgusting.

It's funny because back when I started cooking BBQ and didn't put sauce on stuff my family thought I was nuts because they had never seen naked bbq before. Now most of them don't even use sauce.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #411
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

You are now an honorary Texan.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #412
The Smoking Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

If you need sauce you ain't doin it right.
The Smoking Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #413
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For the most part I agree with The Smoking Pig, but sometimes a bit of sauce is nice to add. Not drown in it but...............

That would be great as I'd really like to be there on the opening of a brothers BBQ joint.
Really lookin forward to meeting you and havin some fine arse Q

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #414
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

See, I jinxed myself last night. Health inspector called and wanted to make sure the mechanical inspector approved the smoker installation. Mechanical inspector called and said he doesn't have a mechanical permit on file. Township called and confirmed they don't have one either. Talked to the contractor and he said it should be covered under the building permit. The township disagrees.

So now everyone is playing the blame game and trying to figure out WTF is going on.

It never fails.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #415
deguerre

FARK!!!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #416
peeps

That's a bummer! Hope it gets resolved quickly!

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]

Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #417
landarc

Cut through, this is the same advice I told my friend out here who is opening a coffeeshop. Everyone is great with opinions and advice. Everyone likes to say who should do what. On any construction project, there is only one person that is going to make it happen, that is the guy with the check book and his ass on the line.

Tell the contractor that there needs to be a mechanical permit, and that you will pull it today, if he doesn't. Period. Payments will be adjusted.

I was just recalling, how for one precious 4 year period, I had a staff of people, 5 people, that I could trust, completely, to do what I needed. The single best staff ever. The other 24 years, was a different story. And these were all college educated professionals. Kitchen folks, well....

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #418
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

Love your thread, I am cheering for you..hopefully when your website is up I can purchase some t-shirts to wear out here in California?
Best of luck to you!!
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #419
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Tell the contractor that there needs to be a mechanical permit, and that you will pull it today, if he doesn't. Period. Payments will be adjusted.
Thankfully I have the upper hand in this since I've only paid him 25% so far and he is getting anxious to get paid. So it's easy enough to just tell him I'm not paying until he gets it straightened out.

In the meantime, I just made some lunch.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #420
peeps

How much for a plate of THOSE? With delivery?