Fatties Eh?

B

bbqjoe

I've been reading alot of the threads on these fatties, and it sounds very interesting. Going to town on Wednesday, going to pick up a few pounds and give it a try. I think I'll try one plain, another with some rub, and a couple of other ideas I have in mind. I'll do them up with mesquite, and pass them around the Restaurant and get some reaction.
If the response is good, I might consider putting it on the menu as an appetizer, or maybe run it as a dinner special.

Sounds good Joe

The different brands have different textures, coarse and fine, and fat contents (some flatten out a bit to much).

So experiment with a few things. And the Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans Maple flavored chubs have never been smoked and made it back into the fridge. Kids (and me!) gobble them up.

I've tried a few brands and I won't buy anything but Jimmy Dean. The other's I've tried have had WAY too much fat content. I have not tried Bob Evans yet however so I can't speak for that one but I'd take Bill's word for it.

Go for it joe. May want to call it something else though. The way that I would introduce them is to either put a piece in with each meal or come around with a sample plate when it is busy, or just give out samples as they order. Most folks just love 'em, 'cept Phil who preferes puppy peters.

I was wodnering aobut stuffing a fatty...been done? Maybe some jalopena's with a filling in them? trying to come up with something to do with them other than just gorge on pure animal fat. S

I've had good results with Farmer John's but I don't knwo how far they extend out of California. They are usually cheaper than JD's and the hot is really tasty by itself.

P.S. Phil prefers peters.

Pass it on...

Yakfishingfool said:
I was wodnering aobut stuffing a fatty...been done? Maybe some jalopena's with a filling in them? trying to come up with something to do with them other than just gorge on pure animal fat. S
Very easy to stuff 'em. Just break 'em apart, stuff, and form back into a log. Use ingredients to your own personal taste. I would use onion, garlic, cheese, mushrooms, bacon etc. You could also do it just like meatloaf. I thing that it was Neil that suggested some crackers broken up inside. Call it a "fatty loaf."

Actually I roll the fatty in Twisters crumbs so it forms a flavorful crust on the outside.

Neil said:
Actually I roll the fatty in Twisters crumbs so it forms a flavorful crust on the outside.

Post a pic to explain:cool:

Yakfishingfool said:

At the American Royal, we stuffed a plain fatty with diced jalapenos and tiny diced cubes of cheddar cheese. We just laid the thing open long ways, depressed a small trough the length of it and filled with the japs and cheese. Then we closed and sealed it and coated in my rib rub. I think we got like 150th out of 300 or so sausage entries.

Jeff_in_KC said:
At the American Royal, we stuffed a plain fatty with diced jalapenos and tiny diced cubes of cheddar cheese. We just laid the thing open long ways, depressed a small trough the length of it and filled with the japs and cheese. Then we closed and sealed it and coated in my rib rub. I think we got like 150th out of 300 or so sausage entries.
I stuff 2 or 3 japs with cream cheese and lay th roll open then put back together throw er on the smoker. Tis awesome!!

Trying a variation on Neil's breading technique today. One JD maple rolled in crushed Habanero flavored Doritoes and one in crushed Funyums.

Funyums? Are those the onion-ring like things? I haven't had those in ages. I bet those work out very well on the fatty!

Ron_L said:
Funyums? Are those the onion-ring like things? I haven't had those in ages. I bet those work out very well on the fatty!

Yes. Just sliced the Funyum log. The crushed snacks soaked up the grease from the fatty and formed a sort of skin. About the consistency of KFC original. And the OL just took a slice and ate it, then came back and took the plate. She must like it.

Kevin said:
Trying a variation on Neil's breading technique today. One JD maple rolled in crushed Habanero flavored Doritoes and one in crushed Funyums.

You've been reading my mind. I was planning on using the Hab Doritos as a binder for hamburger patties!

Back