MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #76
Fever
On the road to being a farker

Mental note, do not look at this site before 10am. I want that brisket for breakfast!!! Who am I kidding, and the beer! Great right up Tim! Sorry if I missed it, does anyone have the episode name/number of that 'No Reservations' ?
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #77
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever View Post
Mental note, do not look at this site before 10am. I want that brisket for breakfast!!! Who am I kidding, and the beer! Great right up Tim! Sorry if I missed it, does anyone have the episode name/number of that 'No Reservations' ?
I just searched it a couple of days ago because I failed to record the original airing. I have Direct TV and I searched the show name "No Reservations" and the first one on the list was listed Austin, and that was the one. It's now on my VOD (Video On Demand) list. You can also try the show and look for one that has "Austin, TX South by Southwest" in the subject info for the show.

BTW, when are you and the lady going to have time to get together again?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #78
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

I am doing a brisket next weekend and want to make some burnt ends to go with it. You mentioned you did not seperate the point and sliced them together. If I cut the point off to make the burnt ends will it cause the flat to dry out.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #79
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

What's the deal with that Shun (?) onion in the bun, and do I see a sauce in the last picture?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #80
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
I am doing a brisket next weekend and want to make some burnt ends to go with it. You mentioned you did not seperate the point and sliced them together. If I cut the point off to make the burnt ends will it cause the flat to dry out.
No, you remove the point and make the burnt ends, then you wrap the flat up again, and put in the cooler to rest. It will not affect the moisture. But, I prefer to go straight to a rest period, without unwrapping, as I believe it allows for a longer hotter rest period, which benefits the overall packer cook. Most of the guys I have known who make great brisket have kept the packer whole and did not make 'burnt ends' as they wanted to keep the meat whole and get into a long rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
What's the deal with that Shun (?) onion in the bun, and do I see a sauce in the last picture?
Those look like sauteed onions. The reference to a Shun Ken Onion knife is that Shun Knives made a knife designed by a guy named Ken Onion.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #81
chrisnjenn
Banned

Thanks for doing this. I will try it.
chrisnjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #82
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Actually, on top of the brisket is a combination of a smoked onion, smoked and roasted pablano and red fresno peppers that I pickled along with some home made mustard pickles and onions.

Yes, there is just a dab of sauce on there to. I like a lot of flavor if all I'm eating is a sandwhich!!!

And I ate plenty of the brisket by itself to get the full appreciation of how good the brisket was, unadulterated!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #83
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

BTW, This Is Not Your Pork, one of the traditional ways to eat brisket over here is with sliced raw onion, pickles and soft white bread. That sandwich doesn't fall too far off the mark. If you haven't tried it, I happen to like sliced yellow onions, bread and butter pickles and white bread (or a good baguette) with brisket. And as odd as it might sound, a good German mustard on the side. I suggest you give it a try.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #84
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread is epic. Gonna rank up there with the Blackhawk and NightTrain threads.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #85
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
This thread is epic. Gonna rank up there with the Blackhawk and NightTrain threads.

I feel kind of honored that you feel that way!!!

- Beautiful family

Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #86
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Any online or local sources where one can find the pink paper?

For those of you that have tried parchment paper, how many times did you wrap it? Is this just normal ole parchment paper you'd find in the grocery store? I have some, but it seems rather thin for the task at hand. Thanks!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #87
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

I had some brisket from Mighty Quinn here in Brooklyn NYC. He had it wrapped in clingfilm and was keeping her in a cooler. Jiggled just right!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #88
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan View Post
Any online or local sources where one can find the pink paper?

For those of you that have tried parchment paper, how many times did you wrap it? Is this just normal ole parchment paper you'd find in the grocery store? I have some, but it seems rather thin for the task at hand. Thanks!

Make an X with 2 pieces of standard store bought parchment. Wrap one side of one part of the X over and tuck it under the brisket. Repeat the same step with the other end. Then repeat the same process with the other piece of the X.

You can order the red through www.pospaper.com I believe.

- Beautiful family

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #89
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
I had some brisket from Mighty Quinn here in Brooklyn NYC. He had it wrapped in clingfilm and was keeping her in a cooler. Jiggled just right!

I have wrapped briskets in cling wrap after it comes off of the smoker. It does work well!

- Beautiful family

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #90
SkinnyVinny
On the road to being a farker

Hey Cque,

Thanks so much for this write up! Did my first brisket and it came out very nice! A little bit more salty then I'd like, but I also added Montreal steak spice, so that might have been it. Granted, this was my first brisket, so I'm not sure if I'm just tooting my horn, but it was definitely moist and tender compared to the very few BBQ places we have in my area.

Quick question, I pulled it out of the rest in the oven at 200 after 2.5 hrs, and sliced. Is this correct? Or is a rest at room temperature required after pulling straight from the oven?

Also, I tried slicing the point with the flat, but find the grain runs a different direction in some parts. Do you separate and rotate the point to match the flat? Might have just been the piece I had, but am not sure. i'll probably try burnt ends next time, but those fatty slices... wow! so gooood.

Cheers,
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote