Leaking Chicken

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Upon opening my refrigerator door for OJ this morning I received a pleasant surprise...the chicken marinating in a zip lock back- encased in a outer plastic bag- had leaked all over the refrigerator. Like leaking into bottom draws and in little areas under the glass that you can see but not get to. Fun!

Even the best half gallon zip lock bags always seem to leak. What is the best way to marinate in a bag? Maybe the zip lock bags could be wrapped in plastic wrap?

What is your solution? Marinating in a bag seems best.

I try to place the bag in one of the fridge drawers with the zipper part help up by the drawer when it closes. I hope that makes sense. You could also place the bag in a big bowl.

Why doesn't it surprise me that a ziplock leaked?? Because for whatever reason ziplock bags ALWAYS seem to leak for me. I will not be buying anymore ziplock bags but will get whatever generic brand they have or glad bags. Over the past month i've had every ziplock bag leak in the fridge but once i switched over a cheapo brand, no more leaks. I still try to take extra steps just in case a bag were to leak, since we all know how fun it is to cleanup chicken or pork juice out of every nook in a fridge. I like to keep 1 veggie draw empty and put the bags in there so if it were to leak, it'd be contained. So, ditch the ziplocks.

I do what Ron does, or what Bandit does. I don't trust any Ziploc bag.

Vacuum seal bags are better. Other than that.....yep....place bag in bowl or pan. No matter what the commercials say.....ziplocks suck.:becky:

+ 1 on vacuum bags. They work great.

When I do use a ziplock, I use whatever the smallest tupperware that it will fit in. Or sometimes I use a half or quarter sheet pan to catch anything leaking.

That totally sucks. We just had a bottle of salad dressing tip over in the back of the fridge that dripped down over everything. Went in the crisper drawer as well. The fridge and everything inside reeked of vinegar for a while. So I feel your pain.

On a side note, you should clean your entire fridge, and everything the marinade may have touched so you don't risk salmonella.

I always put anything marinating in a bag, and then into either a bowl or plastic container, especially poultry

Food poisoning is no fun

I always marinate in a ziplock in a drawer. That way when it leaks I can pull the drawer out and wash it thoroughly. I have had less trouble with genuine ziplock freezer (double zipper) bags than generic or other, but they still leak when marinating sometimes. If it won't fit in a drawer, I use glass bowls with plastic cling wrap.

I always put the zip lock in a pan big enough to hold all the liquid in case what happened happens!

I also place into a bowel or high sided pan when marinating...+1

I only store cooked food in my bowel...LOL
Seriously, a wide SS bowl in the fridge that will contain any zip-lock or other brand. Somebody, maybe Glad has locking tabs on their bags. The wide SS bowl allows you to flip the bag over regularly like some marinades need. Spills contained in the bowl.

I always place the ziplock in a bowl. That way I don't have to worry about the frying pan to my head from my better half.

Back