Rib vending

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am vending at our local festival next weekend. I have had a lot of requests lately to have ribs. I've gotten a reputation for having well, Simply Marvelous ribs :becky:

For those who vend them, do you use spares or baby backs? If spares, which I am gonna do, as I got a really good price on them, do you trim STL style? If so, what do you do with the tips, etc?

Also, how do you sell/serve them? I'm thinking one or two bones in a "boat"?????????

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

I am vending at our local festival next weekend. I have had a lot of requests lately to have ribs. I've gotten a reputation for having well, Simply Marvelous ribs :becky:

For those who vend them, do you use spares or baby backs? If spares, which I am gonna do, as I got a really good price on them, do you trim STL style? If so, what do you do with the tips, etc?

Also, how do you sell/serve them? I'm thinking one or two bones in a "boat"?????????

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!
the few times we vended we sold spares..cut to STL and sold the tips as well..of course tips are a big sell around Chicago ..not sure your area Dan

I was thinking the same. I sold a few racks of spares last weekend, but that's it. I'm stuck paying $4 a pound for ribs here! Not a great profit margain.

I think two ribs is pretty weak. I give people 4-5 ribs, almost half a rack. It's worth it because people understand you're not scamming them.

Dan, at are local ribfest which was last weekend they sold a sample boat of 3 ribs for $7.00, 1/2 slab for $11.00 and full slab for $22.00. All of them sold St. Louis spares.
How are you going to hold?

Ken

Thanks - I'm not sure about holding right now - either foiled and in a UDS running low or in a heating cabinet (assuming it's working, gonna test it tomorrow). I figure, I'll put them on "in shifts" so I'll have some coming off every 1/2 hour to hour...thoughts???

What I did last week is just start all the ribs at once, and after 4+ hours I transferred them to an upper rack or foiled them, depending on space.. just keep them going that way. I don't know if you're doing this legal, but my HD is liking that idea more then heating cabinets or heat trays.

What I did last week is just start all the ribs at once, and after 4+ hours I transferred them to an upper rack or foiled them, depending on space.. just keep them going that way. I don't know if you're doing this legal, but my HD is liking that idea more then heating cabinets or heat trays.

Thanks. I am also serving brisket and pulled pork and smoking in my large smoker - the temps run pretty equal throughout (usually) so moving up won't help. Also, I like the idea of having fresh ribs coming off every so often, so as not to have to hold too long.

Your HD is sounding strange :) As long as they are held above temp, we're good. Yes, I have a license, insurance, etc., so I'm going legal. Too many things can go wrong otherwise.

you can use a uds vending?

Yep, it's a temporary location/permit. As long as the food is cooked and stored properly ON SITE, they are good with it. Last couple of charity cooks we've used them along with my trailered smoker.

how do yall get pork butts done on site in enough time to vend?

Boil them first! :thumb:

Just kidding!

I cook everything hot and fast. Requires getting there really early still, but it works. Also, I start with a few butts and a couple of briskets (this year, ribs, too) and then add more an hour or so later, so I am (usually) never more than an hour from fresh product.

I do both spares and Baby Backs and sell whole or half racks. They are done hot and fast 2 hour cook foil 1 hr then into warmer at 150° Racks are stagger cook as 4 of each go on every 1 1/2 hours. Butts go on at 4 am high and hot and foiled at 165° done at 11 am Brisket 4 hrs high and hot.

I cut spares and sell by the half $11.50 or full rack $21.00 and sell the whole tip strip for $6.00 They cost me $10 per rack and by the time I put rub and szuce on them and the amount of space they take up along with the labor to trim them I don't feel they are worth doing. I don't think the market in my area would pay more than what I'm charging and I really don't want to charge more than that.

Back