Harry Soo's Class

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to attend Harry's Soo's class this past weekend and, without disclosing his trade secrets, I wanted to share some of the more valuable things I took away from it:

1. Though I thought I knew BBQ, I really knew nothing about BBQ. All of my former processes are now useless to me.

2. For any given BBQ task, there are 900 different ways to complete that task. None of them are wrong, but only one may be right for you.

3. BBQ is about having fun and bringing people together. Be humble and share.

One of the things that blew me away about Harry's attitude is that he doesn't care what you cook on, just enjoy it. He even advocated doing BBQ in an oven - he really doesn't care. Everyone has an opinion about this thing being better than that thing or this way being better than that way, but Harry is good with whatever it is you want to do.

Harry is also very gracious and shares all of his recipes and techniques with the class. He also donates the proceeds to charity, which is also very unusual.

It was a very humbling and enlightening experience, and I'm very glad that I went. In addition to learning some really nice recipes and techniques, Harry shared some thoughts that were very inspiring and put a lot of things into perspective to me. I was very grateful for that.

I very highly recommend Harry's class if you have the inclination. :thumb:

Dave

Thanks for sharing your feedback Dave! I was wondering how you liked the class.

Must have been a great time, I would love to start taking classes like that sometime soon.

I've never met Harry, but from what I've heard, seen and read he seems like a great person. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Harry may be one of the Top 5 nicest people on Earth...

Makes one think about what is really important. People.

Harry is definitely one of our "bbq heroes". His viewpoint is refreshing and he's always willing to spend some time with people if he isn't busy with his competition meats. Fun is after all what it is all about.

Did you find that he spent much time on cooking competitions? I spoke with someone the other night that felt like it wasn't covered too much.

I was fortunate enough to meet Harry at a local PNWBA comp this year...a true gentleman! :thumb:

You know you're good peeps with a good class when Famous Dave himself shows up.

I had the joy of competing against Harry this past summer and we had a few minutes to
talk. He really is a very nice and humble guy, as is his teammate Benny. As an example,
they taught a free box-building class at like 0700 on the morning of turn-ins.

John

Back