Cajun Bandit conversion kit and Smoke-EZ conversion kit.

PhilB

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm trying to see if anyone has compared these products, or has any information on the differences. Looks like the Cajun Bandit is pretty popular here, and they seem to make very nice products.

Unfortunately, the website for both companies has a few issues:

The Smoke-EZ website doesn't have a price anywhere at all! WTF? Never heard of a website where I have to fill in a contact form just to get a price.

The Cajun Bandit website is much better, but I can't register/buy anything because it doesn't accept Canadian postal codes and the provinces aren't listed.

Regardless, I would love opinions on these kits vs a proper WSM (I have a 22.5" OTG). The Cajun Bandit definitely looks pricy, but also looks to be very well made. I'd say it's probably my first choice right now, depending on the price of the Smoke-EZ.

Someone also asked if Brethren got a discount on them, since it looks like C&C are members here too, but there was no answer.

Thanks,

Phil

I have a 22" WSM and 2 Cajun Bandit kettle conversions. And used them in comps at Langley and Whistler BC. For what you guys have to shell out for Weber products in BC, I'd make a drive to Bellingham! There are a couple PNWBA members down here that are Weber dealers and can get decent discounts on most products.
I know a Vancouver member was looking for a Ranch Kettle a couple years ago and I sent him a Seattle craigslist posting and he made the drive and stole it for $400.

I have heard the same thing from BC members about shipping info to Canada, someone mentioned a Customs broker that you could use for a US shipping address, but you have to pay fees for that too and it was still steep.

bingo lives in Lynden, WA, I haven't seen him post lately, lionhrt is near Sedro Wooley, and I'm in Bothell-if you want to have Chris at C&C send it here and pick it up we can possibly make it work.

IMG_1637_1.jpg

I'm trying to see if anyone has compared these products, or has any information on the differences. Looks like the Cajun Bandit is pretty popular here, and they seem to make very nice products.

Unfortunately, the website for both companies has a few issues:

The Smoke-EZ website doesn't have a price anywhere at all! WTF? Never heard of a website where I have to fill in a contact form just to get a price.

The Cajun Bandit website is much better, but I can't register/buy anything because it doesn't accept Canadian postal codes and the provinces aren't listed.

Regardless, I would love opinions on these kits vs a proper WSM (I have a 22.5" OTG). The Cajun Bandit definitely looks pricy, but also looks to be very well made. I'd say it's probably my first choice right now, depending on the price of the Smoke-EZ.

Someone also asked if Brethren got a discount on them, since it looks like C&C are members here too, but there was no answer.

Thanks,

Phil

Got mine right from the site: cajunbandit.com

Get the ring if you buy one. I bought extra forks and several baskets to go on mine. Found an extra motor from the company that built the motor for $20.

The motor can be ran with a dc power supply or using 1 D-cell. If you use the battery, it'll run for 36 hours before you need to replace it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

There's really no comparision to using the rotesserie vs flat grilling. Glad I bought mine.

As to their responding to you, they may not be happy with the site. We had one clown who bought one and made false claims about it scratching his grill.

I found the price and service to be quite reasonable.

The drive to Bellingham might be a good idea (except I don't have a truck...Wonder what I could fit in the 2-door Cavalier!), but only if I was looking for a new kettle or WSM (which I still might be).

As far as shipping, I know of two brokers (one in Blaine, one in Point Roberts) where you can get stuffed shipped to YourName, C/) <their address>, then go pick it up (you then deal with customs yourself). A few friends of mine have used those, and they seem to work.

I guess, since you're using them in comps, you are satisfied with the conversion kits? How do they compare to your WSM?

Phil

I have the Smoke-EZ and love it. The owner of the company has a booth at the Kane County (Chicago area) Swap Meet. Believe I paid around $125 for the kit but can't remember the exact price. I love it. Used it about a dozen times since I bought it 4th of July weekend. It will burn 12+ hours on one load of charcoal. Easy to regulate the temp between 200 and 250. Never used a Cajun Bandit so I can't offer a comparison.

The drive to Bellingham might be a good idea (except I don't have a truck...Wonder what I could fit in the 2-door Cavalier!), but only if I was looking for a new kettle or WSM (which I still might be).

As far as shipping, I know of two brokers (one in Blaine, one in Point Roberts) where you can get stuffed shipped to YourName, C/) <their address>, then go pick it up (you then deal with customs yourself). A few friends of mine have used those, and they seem to work.

I guess, since you're using them in comps, you are satisfied with the conversion kits? How do they compare to your WSM?

Phil

The WSM is a good solid 250* cooker, the Cajun Bandit takes a little more getting used to controlling your low temps, but I use it with the Weber and EZ-Que rotisserie rings so I'm in the grilling zone. But with a little practice you should be able to master low n slow in no time.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

I guess I'd have to say I prefer the Cajun Bandit to my 22" WSM. That said, C&C makes the ring that will turn your big bullet into a rotisserie cooker, so either way you go you have options. If you have a kettle, then it is the way to go!

Just got the following email from the people at http://www.bbqs.com/ (I emailed Smoke-EZ directly) saying:

Dear Phil,

You had inquired with Smoke E-Z recently about there product.

http://www.smoke-ez.com/

We are now the Canadian Distributor. This was just negotiated in the last
few weeks.

We have not received our first order yet and to be honest are holding off
and watching the Canadian Dollar.

We will roll the dice and place our order when we feel it is favourable so
we can land the product in our warehouse as cheaply as possible.

Will let you know when we get our first shipment!

Thanks for your inquiry.

Guess that means it's basically unavailable in Canada right now. The lack of information on the manufacturer webpage and now this makes it rather difficult to get.

Still haven't heard back from the Cajun Bandit people.

Phil

Back