KC Style? Really?

revkab

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I posted this in answer to another thread that asked about a commercially available Kansas City style sauce, but thought it was interesting enough to post as a thread here. I sometimes wonder a bit when I watch BBQ Pitmasters, where they get some of their ideas. I based my comments on my experience growing up in Kansas City, eating BBQ all over the place. Perhaps the competition BBQ circuit is vastly different than what the average man on the street in KC is used to?

Watched BBQ Pitmasters last night, and the theme of the show I watched was "Kansas City style." Interestingly, one of the theme meats was Prime Rib, which, growing up on Kansas City BBQ, I've never seen on any BBQ menu. As well, I was amazed that there was such a heavy emphasis on sticky-sweet, molasses based sauces.

The Kansas City style BBQ I've eaten for forever was primarily Pork ribs, Brisket, Chicken, a little BBQ sausage, and a few others, but mainly the big three.

The sauces I've come to associate with Kansas City style were tomato-based, a little sweet, but only a little (Sweet Baby Ray's is WAY over the top in terms of sweetness), seldom molasses based, frequently with a touch of celery seed or celery salt (Pitmasters did get this right), and often with a subtle spicyness.

This is why I've come to rely on Zarda's sauce, which is quintessential KC style, but others are good too. All in all, BBQ Pitmasters showed good BBQ in this session, but not necessarily accurate in terms of KC BBQ.

All that said, forget the ultra-sweet, unless you prefer it that way. Go for a good Kansas City based sauce that allows the flavor to come through without having something like pancake syrup. And feel free to "kick it up a notch," to borrow a phrase from a non-BBQ chef.

Also, most of the commercial BBQ joints probably do very little in terms of fancy rubs, other than maybe a little SPG. Perhaps some on the competition circuit place a lot of emphasis on the sweet, molasses sauces and the heavy rubs, but that's not really what you'll find in most BBQ joints.

I think KC has suffered in original reputation for two reasons, one, and primary, is the creation and naming of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, which is a molasses based and ever more sweet sauce. That has come to define the style for most people. The other, is that there has never been a movement amongst KC places to prevent that from being the case.

If you look at places like Texas or North Carolina, the cooks and joints there hold true to their style and make it known that there is a right and wrong way.

I spent 18 years in KC and every BBQ joint has it's own flair. It really is a melting pot of different regions. And I agree that most commercial KC style sauces are KC Masterpiece clones. I prefer the lighter, tangier Gates, Arthur Bryants or Jack Stack style. That being said I also loved Stilwell smokehouse's Carolina mustard sauce before it burned down. When I think KC BBQ it's never what I see on TV.

When I think of Missouri sauces, Wickers always comes to mind for some reason. It's from the bootheel, I know, but still...it's MY personal definition of Missouri, which would encompass KC I guess.
Same thing with Memphis style. Cook your ribs 'til they're a meteorite! Dry rub, yes. Dry period, um...no.

I posted this in answer to another thread that asked about a commercially available Kansas City style sauce, but thought it was interesting enough to post as a thread here. I sometimes wonder a bit when I watch BBQ Pitmasters, where they get some of their ideas. I based my comments on my experience growing up in Kansas City, eating BBQ all over the place. Perhaps the competition BBQ circuit is vastly different than what the average man on the street in KC is used to?

Watched BBQ Pitmasters last night, and the theme of the show I watched was "Kansas City style." Interestingly, one of the theme meats was Prime Rib, which, growing up on Kansas City BBQ, I've never seen on any BBQ menu. As well, I was amazed that there was such a heavy emphasis on sticky-sweet, molasses based sauces.

The Kansas City style BBQ I've eaten for forever was primarily Pork ribs, Brisket, Chicken, a little BBQ sausage, and a few others, but mainly the big three.

The sauces I've come to associate with Kansas City style were tomato-based, a little sweet, but only a little (Sweet Baby Ray's is WAY over the top in terms of sweetness), seldom molasses based, frequently with a touch of celery seed or celery salt (Pitmasters did get this right), and often with a subtle spicyness.

This is why I've come to rely on Zarda's sauce, which is quintessential KC style, but others are good too. All in all, BBQ Pitmasters showed good BBQ in this session, but not necessarily accurate in terms of KC BBQ.

All that said, forget the ultra-sweet, unless you prefer it that way. Go for a good Kansas City based sauce that allows the flavor to come through without having something like pancake syrup. And feel free to "kick it up a notch," to borrow a phrase from a non-BBQ chef.

Also, most of the commercial BBQ joints probably do very little in terms of fancy rubs, other than maybe a little SPG. Perhaps some on the competition circuit place a lot of emphasis on the sweet, molasses sauces and the heavy rubs, but that's not really what you'll find in most BBQ joints.
Yeah, apparently the producers for BBQ Pitmasters get strange ideas about what meats define a region! Salmon in Georgia? Prime rib in Kansas City? The "Las Vegas" strip steak in Texas? Kind of strange that I've lived in Texas for almost all of my life and I had to watch a BBQ Pimasters episode to know that the Las Vegas strip is one of my favorite steak cuts! LOL! :razz:
I'll try some of that Zarda's sauce if I can find some on line since I don't think I've ever seen it in a retail store around here. It's always good to hear about what is and is not authentic from someone who KNOWS the region, so thanks for the post!:thumb:

Although I would imagine with it's history, that you would be able to get a great Prime Rib in KC.

A funny aside, the tradition of Santa Maria BBQ started with the rib primal off of a steer or three, and changed next to Top Block Sirloing and then to tri-tip over a period of 60 to 70 years. And now, almost nobody recognizes Santa Maria BBQ if you don't use tri-tip.

the show has to throw a twist in to the cooks, they cant just give ribs and pork butts to every cook in every city.....on the Texas episode they were given brisket flat and a cut of steak none of them really heard of ....to just give them ribeyes and whole brisket is too easy.....KC is known for beef as well as Texas so the gave them a versitile cut of beef....i too was disappointed they didnt get ribs or something more traditional but at least they are not getting to far fetched like season 2 or like Bobby Flay has gone....the stuff he is doing on his show is hardly BBQ anymore...he is just finding ways to cook everything under the sun outside and calling it BBQ

the show has to throw a twist in to the cooks, they cant just give ribs and pork butts to every cook in every city.....on the Texas episode they were given brisket flat and a cut of steak none of them really heard of ....to just give them ribeyes and whole brisket is too easy.....KC is known for beef as well as Texas so the gave them a versitile cut of beef....i too was disappointed they didnt get ribs or something more traditional but at least they are not getting to far fetched like season 2 or like Bobby Flay has gone....the stuff he is doing on his show is hardly BBQ anymore...he is just finding ways to cook everything under the sun outside and calling it BBQ
Yeah, Flay would probably get into a little trouble if he were competing against real BBQ cooks. As Johnny Trigg once said, "this is redneck cookin' " and it's a different world from that of the Cordon Blue!:wink:
Bobby has done a couple of interesting things, but from what I've seen he really just grills and isn't doing what I'd classify as BBQ.

Yeah, Flay would probably get into a little trouble if he were competing against real BBQ cooks. As Johnny Trigg once said, "this is redneck cookin' " and it's a different world from that of the Cordon Blue!:wink:
Bobby has done a couple of interesting things, but from what I've seen he really just grills and isn't doing what I'd classify as BBQ.

yep...lol

When I think of Missouri sauces, Wickers always comes to mind for some reason. It's from the bootheel, I know, but still...it's MY personal definition of Missouri, which would encompass KC I guess.
Same thing with Memphis style. Cook your ribs 'til they're a meteorite! Dry rub, yes. Dry period, um...no.

WRONG!!!

KC is a Midwestern town, St Louis is an Eastern town...plain and simple.:tsk:

Yeah...I live in Kansas City, and you have Spare ribs, baby backs, burnt ends, brisket, pulled pork, turkey, ham.... You can get prime rib if you go to a steak house, but thats about it...

ALSO, they always say we have "wet" bbq... Everybody here just uses a dry rub, and you can get sauce on the sandwhich / ribs ... or on the side

I just had to laugh at that episode. I don't care where you are, nobody is putting BBQ sauce on farking prime rib!
:tsk:My Ex used to put ketchup on it. :crazy: Like I said she 's My EX Just glad the kids didn't get that gene

Prime rib has been a bbq item in NW Arkansas for a while. 14 years ago I mentioned prime rib to some coworkers and they said, "as long as it's not smoked".

Two places in particular made it a stable.

Nope, that would be Rich Davis, who is from Kansas City. He just named it that, and then stood back and was amazed at how well it did

Back