MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanator View Post
I know that roux is a thickener but is that what it was doing in your gumbo? What would you say the consistency of your gumbo is when it's done? Looks great and I def wanna try this. Just not sure if I'll know when it's done or not.
First thing, gumbo is one of those dishes like chili, there are thousands of variations. My style is based on on a more traditional style gumbo, which relies on a dark brown roux for flavor. Although it does add thickness, the final consistency of my gumbo is not much thicker than the broth of something like vegetable beef soup. The main contribution of the roux is the flavor. By bringing the flour in the roux to a deep brown color, you get a kind of "roasted nuttiness" flavor that you can't describe, but you know when it is there. When you hit the roux with the veggie mix, you would swear that there are 20 different spices in the pan, but it's nothing but flour, oil and veggies.
If you want a thicker gumbo, you can use something called Filé powder to thicken it up, but I don't use it.
As far as color, that last pic of the roux is prettty much the right color, it is going to get darker when you add the veggies and simmer. Remember, the color you are looking for is the color of milk chocolate. You could really get brave and go for a black roux, but it's not worth the risk.
You can also do a google search on roux and find tons of guides.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Since i was born and raised in louisiana i love my gumbo as well.My only problem is i never have leftovers.Can you explain how you do that?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

File powder is just ground up(almost powder fine)sassafras leaves. I make my own every year because it seem to taste better than the store bought variety.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

ok awesome. I am totally going to try and make this!!!
volkanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #20
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Wow, thats fantastic and thanx for sharing the step by step.

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

As I just posted in the BBQ shrimp thread, I'm a native New Orleanian, so Saiko I give you certification that that is authentic Chicken and Andouille gumbo.

There are two classes of gumbos--okra gumbos and file' gumbos, depending on whether you use okra or file' powder (ground sassafrass) as a thickener/flavoring agent. Chicken and Andouille gumbo, sometimes called Gumbo Ya Ya, is traditionally a file' gumbo, so no okra. However, making gumbo is as varied as bbq, so there's no right or wrong way. Taking that into account, then, Saiko, I grant dispensation on the use of okra.

Lots of store bought andouille is chit. Good "sausage" but chitty "andouille". Authentic andouille is garlicky, smoked over pecan, with a very, very coarse grind, stuffed into oversized casings. If you want authentic andouille order if from either Bailey's or Jacob's, both in Laplace, Louisiana, the andouille capital of the world. You can google them and they'll ship to you.

Of course, since we all own our own smokers, you can take the finest quality kielbasa or other garlicky sausage, and smoke it yourself. You can also make your own tasso ham, which is usually an ingredient. If anyone wants, I'll post a recipe later (I'm off to a bbq party right now in a minute).

Where most gumbos made outside of Louisiana fail, whether at home or at a restaurant, is the roux. Usually there is none! Or if one is used it is thin, light, and uninspired. Saiko, that roux looks perfect. Everyone else take note of the color and consistency and try to imitate it. Saiko, I pronounce you honorary Cajun.

--frank in Wilson, NY (formerly of New Orleans)
comfrank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Great thread and thanks for the step by step! Its now on the to-do list!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfrank View Post
If you want authentic andouille order if from either Bailey's or Jacob's, both in Laplace, Louisiana, the andouille capital of the world. You can google them and they'll ship to you.
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the info on Jacob's. The chef at at a cajun place near my house told me about Jacob's (it's what he uses), but then when I got home I couldn't remember the name.
Does andouille freeze OK? If I order from Jacob's I will probably just order a bunch and freeze it. Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

That's some awsome looking gumbo right there! Thanks for sharing!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #25
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Great guide Saiko!

Still ain't got that roux makin' down yet. Thanks for the info.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #26
JD McGee

Nice...that looked like a 3 beer roux to me!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

This was a great thread Thank you
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #28
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the info on Jacob's. The chef at at a cajun place near my house told me about Jacob's (it's what he uses), but then when I got home I couldn't remember the name.
Does andouille freeze OK? If I order from Jacob's I will probably just order a bunch and freeze it. Thanks again!

Actually, Bailey used to work with Jacob, but about 20 years ago they had a falling out so Bailey opened up his own place. They are right around the corner from each other. The differences between the sausages produced by the two are minute.

Yes, andouille freezes great. I usually order a bunch, wrap them individually in freezer paper, and freeze, pulling a link or two out when needed. These links are huge. Like a foot and a half long and two to three inches in diameter. If you won't be using a whole link, microwave it just enough until you can cut off the amount you need and return the remaining part to the freezer.

later,
--frank in Wilson, NY (formerly of New Orleans)
comfrank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #29
speybro
Found some matches.

Location: Minnesotan by birth; in Savannah last 40 years by choice
Default roux

My first post on this great looking site. Yes, andouille does freeze very well. I put my links in a Food Saver(vacuum pack), make the bag long enough to remove it from the freezer and extract number of links I need and still be able to reseal the bag. I have eaten meat frozen for over two years, andouille included, and it has been fine.
Can't claim native status like Comfrank, but after living in NO for one year back in the 60's had to still have some NO-like food so have been playing around with it for years. The roux is the key and everthing Saiko and Comfrank have said in my experience is gospel. Write it down. One point: the darker the roux the less thickening ability it has. I've cheated a little bit now and then with my gumbo and added a little corn-starch slurry near the end of cooking which will help.
A couple questions if I may: 1) I've tried Savoie brand andouille(made in NO) from the grocery store and although I don't mind heat, it is just too hot. Could some one tell me what the relative heat in a Jacob or Bailey andouille might be relative to the Savoie brand? And 2) I'm cooking for two---and the wife just doesn't eat much. How well do BBQd pork ribs freeze?
Promise not to be so long winded next time. And thanks.
P.S. I don't know who put the little aphorism below my screen name, but at 74, it pretty well charaterizes my mental status a good bit of the time!
speybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #30
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speybro View Post
I'm cooking for two---and the wife just doesn't eat much. How well do BBQd pork ribs freeze?

P.S. I don't know who put the little aphorism below my screen name, but at 74, it pretty well charaterizes my mental status a good bit of the time!
I can answer two of the questions, but will have to rely on our Louisiana native brethren for the andouille question. Ribs freeze very well. Most of the Brethren use vacuum sealers and just throw them in simmering water while still in the vacuum pack to reheat (I am assuming the vacuum packs can handle this?). I'm still waiting on the next 30% off coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond to get my Food Saver, so I currently reheat mine in the oven. I wrap in foil, hit them with a little more sauce, and cook them at 350 degrees. I have found that it takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to get them nice and hot, and I always pull them a couple days before hand from the freezer so they are thawed.

As far as the little title there, those are auto-generated based on post count. You can see all the titles and required post count here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17759

Tags
Gumbo