MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
BigTSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Default Strip Loin Roast

Has anyone ever cooked a strip loin as a roast? I want to cook a standing rib roast for Christmas but my family does not like how fatty a rib roast is. I was thinking about cooking the strip loin in a BGE around 250 degrees till medium rare. Has anyone has success with this?

Stump Baby/L BGE/Weber Rancher/2 Weber 1 touch
Big T Smoker's BBQ
BigTSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Did you just say that your family won't eat a standing rib roast??? I think I'm hallucinating...that can't be true.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Yep, have done quite a few. Cook it just like you would a rib roast. 225 - 250 chamber temp should give you a nice consistent edge to edge color. Take it to about 127ish, remove it and tent with some foil and let it rest for 20 mins or more.

If you want a crispy crust, pull it when it hits about 120ish and do a reverse sear over high heat flipping (rolling) frequently.

BTW, the cooking time for the loin won't be determined by weight, but rather, by it's thickness. A 7lb partial loin will take just as long to cook as a 15lb whole loin of the same thickness.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I've done it myself on a few occasions as my family also prefers fewer fatty and chewy bits in the loin roast. I cook pretty much the same was as a rib roast. Because it is a thinner cut, you can cook a little bit hotter if you like. I typically cook rib roasts at around 225*. I may go as high as 250* for a loin roast, but it doesn't really matter much as you can't mess it up. I usually go to 120-125* IT, let it rest for 30 minutes, then do a hot sear, but it doesn't matter too much as you can't screw it up.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
snapper-G
Full Fledged Farker

Because of how thin they are I always sear the strip before roasting. They never have enough time in the oven to get that natural crust on it. I guess you could reverse sear also.
snapper-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=1#post3108936
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote