• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wireless thermometer

chefdrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for a good wireless thermometer to give me a reading of the inside of my smoker. I already have one for the meat. Any suggestions for a good/cheap one that will not die on me after a few uses?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Maverick ET -73 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-ET-73-RediChek-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337713464&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Maverick Industries ET-73 Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Or the newer version (that has a better wireless range) ET-732

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337713464&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Thank you. I saw those on amazon but they both had so-so reviews. Have you tried either one of these? I know sometimes people can get faulty ones and give them bad reviews...

I have the ET-73 going on 2 years now, works fine. The only issue is that it will loose signal when I am in bed on overnight cooks due to too many walls and distance from my smoker.
(2 story duplex - smoker in back, bedroom in front of house upstairs)

If the distance is not an issue the cheaper ET-73 will work fine.

Is that the one where the on/off switch is behind the battery plate? Thanks for replying.

Chefdrew - yes the ET-73 has the switch behind the battery plate on the transmitter, the wireless readout unit switch is on the outside. It opens with a coin which is a PITA! I broke it the first use and now use a rubberband or piece of tape to hold on the battery cover (bad design flaw - but it still works!)

Maggiemaster - Yes they will work fine in any smoker, just the probe is inserted into the cooker while the unit resides outside of the cooker

Also, the cheaper one is also a dual thermometer, correct?

Yes...they both are dual probe thermometers. One readout for smoker temp and one for food. They also have temp alarms you can set & timers also.

My ET732 works great. Get everything going, go back in the house, place the receiver unit next to the bed and go back to sleep.

Where is the on/off switch on the ET732? Is the on/off switch on the older model behind the batteries on just behind the battery cover?

I have an ET-73 that I've had for a couple of years, and I have had no issues with it at all...although I agree the on/off switch is a pain. It looks like the on/off switch is easy access on the outside of the transmitter on the 732 model. On the 73, it is behind the cover, above where the batteries go. Hmm...making me want to upgrade now!

Last edited:
Stop me if I am wrong but, when you turn the transmitter on, don't you want it to stay on the entire time? I just watched a video review of them both...I do not have a distance issue at my house and the older model is around $30 cheaper than the new one...hmmmm

Yes, you want to keep it on the entire time. The drawback is that if you lose the signal you have to remove the clip, take off the cover, turn it off and then back on again. It doesn't happen often, but I roam around a lot and sometimes lose the signal. Generally it's just the first time to turn it on and leave it until the cook's done. It's not a big problem, I'm just getting more grumpy as I get older.

Those of you that have the older model, do you have range issues when walking on your house?

Okay, I got my Maverick ET-73. Used it yesterday and it worked great. I went through my entire house, from the basement to the upstairs bedroom and out to my mailbox and I never lost signal...seems like a great little tool...

Do these work well in comps where others may be using the same thing? Meaning, is it possible for signals to get crossed and I end up reading the temps of the guy next to me?

Do these work well in comps where others may be using the same thing? Meaning, is it possible for signals to get crossed and I end up reading the temps of the guy next to me?

I don't know the answer, but it seems to me that at a comp you'll be staying pretty close to your que(s) and can look at the transmitter that is attached to the probe instead of the reciever.

The BBQ Guru uses wifi and blue tooth, so that should sinc to your smart phone. DISCLAIMER: I don't own a Guru yet, so I may be wrong.

The 732 pairs itself so there should not be a probl your need to turn the reciever on first then the transmitter then it will pair up. I would go with the 732 just dont overtemp the probes or allow any water in the connection between the wire and probe tip.

Back