MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Jaredhulon323
On the road to being a farker

Richard that duck looks phenominal would you share the recipe for it
Jaredhulon323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
pectin
I would bring it up slowly and check consistency as pectin(depending on sugar content of jelly) can at times loose it`s thicking power being fruit based.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I glaze my chicken and ribs with Texas Pepper Jelly usually Pineapple Hab. I like the Blues Hog Tennesse red mixed with it.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredhulon323 View Post
Richard that duck looks phenominal would you share the recipe for it
don't be intimidated by duck, unless your are phi... (never mind)

Whole frozen farm raised duck thawed. Remove the excess fat and skin from around the cavity opening. Rinse under cold water inside and out. Prick the skin through to the flesh all over with a fork.

Optional marinade - In a large zip loc add the contents of a bottle of raspberry vinaigrette, 1/2 tablespoon of lemon pepper (or whatever else you might want), the duck and enough water to cover the duck. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or leave on the counter for 2 hours. Take the duck out of the marinade, rinse and dry. (remember, dr. pepper is the universal bbq liquid. it can be substituted for any liquid at any time.)

I like to put it on a sheet pan in the fridge uncovered for 6 hours, but this step can be skipped. Salt and pepper inside and out (or rub of your choice) and throw it in the smoker at or above 325*. I cook over lump and add cherry or apple for smoke. a duck can take a lot of smoke, but don’t use mesquite (unless you live in or are from TX). Check after the first hour. It won’t be done (160* +) but you will get an idea of how the cook is going. If the duck isn’t vertical you will want to pick it up (carefully, I insert tongs into the cavity) and drain the fat that’s accumulated in the cavity. You can also flip the duck at this point. Knowing my smoker, I’d come back in an hour and do the same thing. Unless your temp really runs away on you it’s hard to fark-up a duck.

I pull in the 155*- 160+ range and glaze as already discussed. If I’m not making the duck with ribs I might still add some of my universal rub or something like 5 spice powder to taste. You want something to balance the sweet of the jelly and hit different parts of your mouth with the flavor profile. My suggestion, even if you’re serving something else, if you are feeding a bunch of people make more than you think you need. The yield is low and people go nuts for them. My biggest problem is getting the meat from the cutting board to the serving platter. More than one friend or child has almost lost a finger if you know what I meant.

Here’s a glaze I use a lot that takes a little more prep than just jelly, water and seasoning from paul kirk’s championship bbq sauce book (a must have in every bbq chef’s library)

2 cups tomato based bbq sauce
1 cup strawberry preserves
1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs chili powder
1/2 ts garlic powder
1/4 ts ground allspice
1/4 ts ground cloves

combine all, bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes and make sure you don't let it burn. As with pretty-much any list of ingredients, feel free to change them up to fit your flavor profile. I look at the above as a base from which I can add or subtract ingredients to get where I want to go. Think about building a rub, sauce or glaze, not just making it.

And here’s a couple of birds from another cook (before and after) glazed with the recipe above and with my universal rub instead of salt and pepper.

heading to the smoke (you can see how much skin and fat i cut away from the cavity)

out of the smoker before the glazing

glazed

and for yield, that's most of a whole duck next to half of a 12 lb turkey

Live every week like it's shark week

Last edited by RichardF; 11-26-2013 at 01:53 PM..
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
You guys are awesome!

borntorun- Not sure, I'm still at school, but I will look when I get home. Is there an identifiable difference?

Mark- thanks for the search term. I tried a bunch of different ones, didn't try that one.

Skidder- Corn cob? Is that a brand name, or is actual corn cob involved?
I got this recipe from Cowgirl a frequent poster here.I just added some jalapeno for heat. Excellent stuff. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=144236
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Emu
Got rid of the matchlight.

Learn something new every day! Never even heard of it...
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote