Smoke it, grind it, or pitch it?

bover

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I was going through the freezer in the garage yesterday and way in the back I found an unidentified white lump. I pulled it out, turned it over, and see a label that said "Butt 6/12/10". Apparently I picked up an extra butt, most likely on sale, wrapped it in freezer paper, labeled it and stuck it in the freezer last June and then completely forgot about it.

It's been frozen the whole time and should be fine, but this is a frost-free unit so my confidence in its quality isn't all that high. Given that it's well over a year old, what would you do with it? Smoke it, grind it up, or pitch it?

WAIT, WHAT??? You actually LABEL stuff you stick in the freezer??? :laugh: Defrost it and see how it looks and feels. Then Smoke It!

You don't have any safety issues, just taste issues. I'd go ahead and smoke it then use in recipes like beans and others if you don't think it's serve alone or sandwich quality.

I'll be curious to see how this all works out for you. I have a rib roast in my freezer from Christmas that needs to be thawed and consumed that fits the same bill...

I will stop by and take it from you for proper disposal :thumb:

Personally, I'd pitch it. Not worth the safety risk to me and the taste might be ruined from sitting in the freezer for so long.

Thanks all. I think I will smoke it up. I've got no concerns about it being safe, it's just the texture/quality of the final product that I don't know about. I have been meaning to give Keri's Hog Apple Bean recipe a try, so if it ain't sandwich worthy I'll go that route.

Educate me, why would there be a safety risk if it's been frozen the whole time?

From the restaurant I worked in, we wouldn't use anything that had been frozen that long wrapped only in freezer paper. The boss said something about the health board and the final product turning out poorly. He said vacuum sealed was fine but just in paper would allow the the opportunity to be contaminated over time from everything else in the freezer.

For normal folks, it's probably fine.

From the restaurant I worked in, we wouldn't use anything that had been frozen that long wrapped only in freezer paper. The boss said something about the health board and the final product turning out poorly. He said vacuum sealed was fine but just in paper would allow the the opportunity to be contaminated over time from everything else in the freezer.

For normal folks, it's probably fine.

If you worked in a restaurant that had anything in the freezer for even close to that amount of time, I think there were much worse things to worry about :heh:

I hear 10 thousand year old wooly mammoth is pretty good...

Ya think :crazy:

:wink:

Not even close to a month and it would be gone. I was just extrapolating.

No food safety issue, just rancidity/freshness issue depending on how well it was wrapped and what temp the freezer is at (and whether it stayed at that temp the whole time).

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp

Is Frozen Food Safe?
Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness.

Back