MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
handsomejack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Sauce business venture

Sup Bros,

Since I'm new to this group I have alot of questions. I'll start with where we are, and where we're headed - or should I say "hope" to be headed.

What I've got here is a damn fine product - Handsome Jack Barbecue Sauce. Now I know it's naive to think I'm the only person on this board that makes their own BBQ sauce. So at the risk of sounding a little arrogant - this is some ****ing bad ass sauce!!! There, I've said it - does that make it true?

I plan on getting involved in the sauce exchange - sounds like a great opportunity to taste stuff outside my market, and maybe get a little exposure for mine. I've done a little research on the types of sauce that are popular in different parts of the country. My sauce is tomato, coffee, and worcestershire based. Rich, bold, and spicy! Sounds like an ad, I know, but that's the best way to describe it. Sweet with a kick!

I'd like to get a professional opinion from a couple of you guys, but I'm still a little paranoid about letting it get out there too much before I get my logo trademarked, recipe patented, all that ****. I really think I'm on to something here, and I'd hate to lose it to some rich ******* that can dissect the ingredients and make a million dollars with my recipe, ya know?

Also:
I'm looking for Q or smoker based websites with clipart that I can use to build my print ads.
AND
Is there anyone out there that can help with ideas and designs for a trailer-type smoker for competitions and catering?

Anyone, anyone...

Thanks -
Lee
and I threw in my sister-in-law's big 'ole butt (rubbed it myself).
He hasn't called back...think the sauce was too spicy?
handsomejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like fun. I'm going through the process right now of doing the same thing with my sauce from the restaurant along with some seasonings, and whatever else we can come up with. Just getting started though, so don't have any real info right now.

Love the logo. Great start!

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
parrothead

Moved this here. Sort of goes with the comp, catering and business aspect thingy.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-04-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that can help with ideas and designs for a trailer-type smoker for competitions and catering?
Here's a link to one guys solution

http://partygrill.com/The%20Pits.htm

Also check the Q-talk index for a recent thread called smoker manufacturers. Theres links in that thread to all the mfgr's we could find. A lot of them offer trailer rigs. Check Backwoods, they make 2 sizes of catering trailers, enclosed with water systems.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Before you a commercially sale sauce it needs to be tested, normally your state ag dept can do the testing. You also need to get a bar code so the product can be placed on the shelves in the stores. The setup can be spendy but done right goes a long ways towards your success.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
parrothead

I do know this also. Gleaned from BBQ'N Fool, Tom Brohamer.

You need to hire a food technician. This does 2 things. He is with you when you make a batch and converts the recipe to parts and or weights. A cup of this and a teaspoon of that does not transfer well to large scale bottling. The second thing this does is get you all of te nutritional stuff. Carbs, sugar, salt, and other stuff that is required.

I made a call to a local place that does bottling of this type and a salesman is supposed to get back with me and walk me through the process.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
I made a call to a local place that does bottling of this type and a salesman is supposed to get back with me and walk me through the process.
Good job Greg.

You have a weinner in that sauce of yours

I recall licking some of your sauce from my lips.

very good

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #8
chad

Check out www.jazzfoods.com - they advertise in the NBBQ News and have a lot of info for starting a food business - especially like you're insterested in.

Cookers and trailers - sheesh - we've got threads with dozens of manufacturers:

Some I check frequently are:

www.sybbq.com
www.partygrills.com
www.austinnationalsmokers.com
www.pigroast.com - posts prices
www.gatorpit.net - ask for the catalog

Also, do a search for concession trailers and do some basic research. Check with your health department about what you need - for both your manufacturing kitchen and what you need to be in compliance with your mobile rig. ((Don't ask how I know all this!!))

If you're serious - get a couple of books on startup business -- don't worry about the food side -- read up on financing, licensing, permits, bookeeping, taxes, business/ficticious names, etc.

What I've done so far (and I'm negotiating a rig design at this time):

1. Registered my ficticious name (DBA) with the state
2. Applied and recieved my tax number (state sales)
3. Applied and recieved my fed tax number (even though I'm not hiring)
4. Contacted my health department to find our what I need for my "commissary" kitchen and what I need to design into my rig to be completely compliant.
5. Take and pass the Food Safety Managers test
6. Apply for a business credit card; start looking for a place to setup your business banking; start researching credit card sales, etc.

I've done all this and still don't own a rig and haven't sold a single $ worth of food.

Good luck!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #9
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Good job Greg.

You have a weinner in that sauce of yours

I recall licking some of your sauce from my lips.

very good
Wow. A Hijack just waiting to happen. But wait, this is an on-topic forum....nice link, KC! :D

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
chad

Before anyone starts in as to why I bother with all the stuff -

1. Fines START at $2000 for health violations
2. Lawsuits are not fun
3. I want to advertise as "Licensed, inspected, and insured for your protection" when I'm trying to get catering business.
4. Try getting business liability insurance without this stuff

And, I'm protecting my reputation, my customers health, and my family's financial health by "doing it right".

Depending on where you live things might be easier - but at least check. A lot of guys run "businesses" without going thru all this - but all it takes is one competitor to make a phone call to the health department, or the tax man (state or fed) to question a return, or you have one customer get sick and you could lose everything.

You are actually dealing with two issues - competing in BBQ cookoffs and vending there is pretty lax. Bottling and selling sauce is a completely different issue. You can do both under one business but you need to focus on one or the other at startup.

Just my $.02 worth - your mileage may vary! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
parrothead

That's why someone else will be doing the bottling for me.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #12
handsomejack

Free shots for the Brethren! You guys are unbelievable!

The answers to my questions(and then some- thanks) were all posted in the amount of time it took me to drink a beer, run to the pawn shop to look for cutting torches and supplies, drink another beer, and then maybe another. Looked for scrap iron, rolled one (shared it) then opened this one on the way back here to my desk.

The whole time thinking, "I wonder if anyone has seen my post?"

Damn nice to meet all of you. Looks like I've found a new waterin' hole!

Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Texas needs a decent pulled Prok Sauce. Can't find one for ****, hardly find pork butt either for that matter.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
parrothead

He's talking about the scrap steel. Rolled into pipe for his cooker.

American Picker Blog

Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
handsomejack

Quote:
He's talking about the scrap steel. Rolled into pipe for his cooker.
yeah, that's what I meant...

hey, what does hijack mean?