• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Time for a new deep fryer, opinions requested...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yes, this is not technically a BBQ question, but I am hoping there are at least a small handful of Brethren who, every once in a while, cook and eat deep fried foods. If I am wrong, the mods can move this somewhere else. :becky:

My Fry Daddy has done its job for a long while, to the best of its abilities. But, it doesn't offer much in the way of temperature control, and it make a huge mess when I use it.

I have looked at the Cuisinart deep fryer several times, and I think it may be what I am looking for. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

Are their other fryers I should look at?

Quality, simplicity and value are my priorities -- and of course, temperature control. A lot of fryers are all about safety, and if I had children in the house, that would be a priority. They look way too complicated and difficult to use, and I know what hot oil can do.

Tell me what you think.

CD

We have an Ultrex deep fryer (discontinued line previously sold on HSN) which still works great. The reasons we selected our model would still apply if we were shopping for one today:

Capacity - ideally 3 or 4 quart will allow for a good quantity of food to be cooked at one time, while not being so large that you have to store tons of cooking oil

Heating element - now they are all pretty much the same, the submerged heating element. Look for one that has 2 "thingamagoobies" on the element to register the temperature, and is raised above the bottom of the container so it doesn't burn whatever drops

Digital/Manual controls - I prefer manual as the oil splatter makes the digital difficult to read

Magnetic power cord - kids or not, this is a great feature

Basket options - narrow and deep is better than wide and shallow

If I had it to do over again, I would look for these things.

1. Immersion heating coil, preferably removable/replaceable.
2. Simple controls and design.
3. No filters or other do hickeys allegedly to control oil or spray, useless.
4. Removable oil reservoir for easier cleaning.
5. As much stainless in a smooth surface as possible

How about this one. It is a Presto and has a temp control. I have an older one that has a ceramic pot for slow cooking.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Options-Electric-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B00005OTXY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2"]Amazon.com: Presto 06003 Options Electric Multi-Cooker/Steamer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I would love to have one that is weather proof. Something I could keep on the deck beside the grill. Kinda like the cajun fryer but if it had a watertight lid.

I know this doesn't fit some of your requirements, but IMO, household fryers suck. I've got three. Two smaller ones, and one that can deep fry a turkey if I wanted. Other than their initial use, they haven't been used in about two years. If I'm deep frying anything I just dump oil into my enameled cast iron dutch/french oven. It's an incredible multitasker and isn't just some bulky and annoying gadget that takes up a ton of space or is a pain to clean.

I would take a look at Presto. I believe the element is removable, and it comes in single and dual basket models. It is controlled by a digital thermostat.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=05466
I have this model and it works great! I haven't used it for a long time due to eating better and the lingering smell of oil in the house. I don't have a good vent hood to pull the smoke and smell out.

I have a presto deep fryer and I never use it. Too hard to clean. I use a copper cazo and a thermometer. Copper cookware is really awesome at even heating, It is also very nice to look at.

Do you have an alternate recommendation?

Sure a bigger one:mrgreen:
Look I have gone through several deep fryers over the yrs and this is by far my favorite
Easy to clean and easy to fix if needed. You can buy parts unlike the throw away fryers

I have had mine for almost 2yrs and it's just Awesome

Please never buy a fryer with non stick coating

bought a half fancy one and used it once. went back the cast iron skillet.

The question is this. How often do you need to use it and how are you going to use it?

If you are talking about the occasional home type use then I would suggest something in line with the Presto or Cajunfryer. For the money these will serve the purpose.

If you plan to use this fairly often and more heavily, such as for vending or catered events, then I suggest you go with something more in line with the aforementioned Avantco or even a Globe PF16E 16 lb Stainless Steel Electric Countertop Fryer LINK. They are more expensive but are more in the commercial line and you will be glad you did when it comes to cleaning/repairing and heavier usage. You get what you pay for with this type of equipment. Generally the higher the price the more heavily built and more reliable the item is.

Back