MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

Default lump vs briquettes in UDS

lump vs briquettes in uds
Are there any big differences using lump rather than briquettes in my uds? I've only ever used briquettes sofar.Does lump burn hotter and for as long ?
I'm trying the lump to start up to try and reduce startup smoke smells;some of my neighbours don't share my obsession with bbq ,go figure!Lump is wayyyy less smelly but seems to burn hotter and therefore maybe will burn out too quick for long sessions .

Rocky

uds
performer
18 in weber
silver b weber [her's]
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I cooked with lump in my UDS for the first time two weeks ago and then last week. Ill never go back to Briquettes. Lump does burn hotter, but I was controlling the temps pretty well so far. As far as long burns, two weeks ago, I smoked for 14 hours and still had 1/2 basket unburned. Used that last week for some beercan chickens and tonight I still had unburned coals left from that burn last week. Packed it tight, though, which helped I think.

Got a burn going right now and have been cruising at around 245-250 for about two hours now...doing me an all-nighter.

Im luvin me some lump.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
ChiefOsceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
Got a burn going right now and have been cruising at around 145-150 for about two hours now...doing me an all-nighter.
What can you cook @ those temps?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

OOOOPS!!! MEANT 245-250. The 6% Sweetwater IPA got to me a bit, me thinks
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500

Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyathabaska View Post
lump vs briquettes in uds
Are there any big differences using lump rather than briquettes in my uds?

I did some home-made tests - check this thread out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78949

I've done follow up cooks using Lump, getting the same length of time in cooks as briquette with consistent, stable cooking temperatures.
I'm using nothing but lump in my UDS now.

Admittedly, I've still got briquettes set aside for my reverse flow trailer, but given the time, money, and weather I will be doing some longevity tests with lump in my MeadowCreek soon enough.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
rockyathabaska

Default thanks Marietta

thanks Marietta,do you use the same openings on your valves as with briquettes?
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Honestly, I haven't noticed a huge difference with either the temps or the burn time. If you take off the lid, I've noticed the temp spike seems higher with the lump. However, I can get my drum to cruise at whatever temp I want regardless of the fuel. One nice thing about lump is way less ash to clean up.

Gotta say, I've had outstanding experiences with the Frontier lump, contrary to some other posters around here. Fine stuff, especially if you can get it on the cheap.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyathabaska View Post
thanks Marietta,do you use the same openings on your valves as with briquettes?

Dunno about Marietta's experiences...
but now that you mentioned it?

I use about the same intake/exhaust settings I was using with briquettes. At some level I would have expected something different.
Rough numbers for my UDS, 1" air intake + 2" exhaust = 230 degrees.
Same settings produced same temps with both briquette and lump.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Pretty much the same for me with the intakes, etc. EatRBBQ's post is what made me try the lump and my experience using it made me keep it.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500

Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

I've used both and think I prefer the briqs. The biggest downside to the briqs is the tar like smell while igniting. Burn time can be great for both but I do have to pack the lump to get a uniform burn. The lump will burn hotter and can spike quickly if you open the lid.

If your neighbors are complaining now they will always complain no matter what you are burning.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemezspring View Post
The biggest downside to the briqs is the tar like smell while igniting. Burn time can be great for both but I do have to pack the lump to get a uniform burn.
Which is one main reason I didnt like the briqs...the smell was like a chemical. The lump simply smells like something you want to throw meat on from the moment you light it. And yeah...packin it does help a lot.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemezspring View Post
I've used both and think I prefer the briqs. The biggest downside to the briqs is the tar like smell while igniting. Burn time can be great for both but I do have to pack the lump to get a uniform burn. The lump will burn hotter and can spike quickly if you open the lid.

If your neighbors are complaining now they will always complain no matter what you are burning.
Im a briquette guy and i do agree with your statement to an extent. I feel like stubbs cheerleader right now( i have a thread on the first page also) because it burns so CLEAN. I really mean it. I used stubbs for my last 4-5 smokes and was impressed with the little to no odor left behind starting my chimney. I then decided that i didnt want to waste STUBBS to light my chimney since i had a bag of KF blue. IMMEDIATELY i was slapped in the face by smells and smoke that was thick and white. Im going to try to do a double chimney burn so i can prove this.
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree. I've had really good experiences with Stubb's. I was a bit skeptical at first, since I didn't really like the Cowboy brand lump (same maker). But, I picked up a bag because I always have to try the new charcoal I see.

First thing I also noticed was the smell. Hot and clean with a trace of smoke. Just to check, I fired up a chimney of blue bag K at the same time. It was really clear that Stubb's was superior. So, I picked up 4 more bags. Then I realized, I was going through the stuff slower than the comp K that I had been using. Seemed to burn more efficiently in my drum.

Unfortunately, all the so cal lowes seem to have had a short supply for the past couple of months. I had a supply of 100% natural briquets that I was still burning through, but still missed the stubb's. Great to find it stocked again, and to hear that lowe's is gonna carry it for the year!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #14
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gasoline will not burn fast if the oxygen is limited/controlled and neither will lump/charcoal if the oxygen is controlled. Almost any fuel will only burn hot or cool in accordance with the oxygen allowed, thus a smoldering fire, lack of oxygen or a raging fire all the oxygen it needs, same with lump or charcoal. I declare Canadian whiskey and Seven up as oxygen for the brain but tomorrow it may smolder a bit.
Dave

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I like using a mix of the two. I found it provided a stable temp, but had faster recovery times.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Tags
burn temps, burn times, lump, uds