MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up Review - Sam's Club "Best of the West" 100% Mesquite Lump Charcoal

A couple weeks back I posted about my first time lighting up a chimney full of this stuff. Since that first lighting, I have only had very great results with this stuff. It is officially my new favorite charcoal.

This stuff comes in a 40 pound bag for $12 and change at my local Sam's. The pieces inside it are freaking huge, and I am really liking that option of having charcoal logs for putting on the smoker, awful convenient.

I only had issues with the coals sparking, and putting out lots smoke on my very first chimney laod. I can only guess there must have been a piece or two in there that was not fully charred. Since then however, after about 10 more chimneys, I have not had that problem at all.

I ran my WSM on this charcoal for 24 hours on this stuff from yesterday through this morning I had to refuel twice (I got 8 hours per load), and refueling was easy because the pieces are so big it was like tossing a few sticks in there basically. I had ZERO problems with sparking/popping or the charcoal producing smoke at all during this whole time.

This was my initial posting about this stuff.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=sam%27s
The first post would be a little misleading because that particular chimney-full sparked and smoked a lot, but that was the ONLY time that has happened to me.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I remember your original post.Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing it at Sam's but was going to wait until we heard back from you. I'm going to pick some up my next trip to Sam's.
hcj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

I was also waiting to hear about the results.Will pick up some on the way home tomorrow.I would have a hard time with 2 bags on the Harley.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I just checked Sam's web site and they list this charcoal as unavailable, at least not on the web or in Florida.

Then I Googled it and found this web site. http://www.twotreesproducts.com/

The bag is different from the one shown on Sam's, but the logo is the same.
Havn't checked the price yet but it might be OK for those of us that can't get any other way.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
kik_start
Full Fledged Farker

I bought some yesterday and it has LOGS in the bag....pieces so big that I will have to chop them up before I can get it in the weber kettle.
kik_start is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

I use Lazzari's Mesquite Chunk Wood Charcoal, and it is great. Although I can't find it for less that $20 for 40 pounds, but even then it is cheaper than Kingsford -- and better for many applications.

I did an over-nighter with it last night for the fist time and I admit I was a little nervous, but it went from 10:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. this morning before I had to add fuel. I found packing it very tightly into the fire ring on my WSM makes a difference in how quickly it burns...
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik_start View Post
I bought some yesterday and it has LOGS in the bag....pieces so big that I will have to chop them up before I can get it in the weber kettle.
Yep, they are freaking huge. When I started my WSM, I put 3 of those logs, and filled in with the small pieces. Then when refueling i used the medium sized chunks, which of course are bigger than the biggest chunks form any other bag of lump I have ever seen. The big logs wouldn't fit into the WSM through the access door without lifting the middle chamber off. Then again, maybe the logs you got were even bigger than the ones I got and they can't even fit in the charcoal ring??
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey all. Yeah, I posted about this stuff a week ago as well and just cut into the bag today. I can also confirm, the pieces in this bag are HUGE!! I've never seen lump like this. I'm running it right now in my Pro Q Excel. It's only been a couple hours so not sure how long it will run. Doesn't seem to be running very hot, but it's pretty breezy out right now so it's affecting my temps.

Despite the warning on the bag, I got almost no sparking and I lit it off with my weed torch. This too may become my fuel of choice going forward. I picked mine up for $14.25 here in El Paso, TX. For 40 lbs. of this stuff it's one hell of a deal.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bigabyte, good intel.
Now I gotta check my local Sam's to see if/when they'll get it in for me!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

We've been using this stuff at home and comps for a while now. It is a good deal for the price, and the big pieces work great in the backwoods. One word of caution though, most bags have a huge amount of "dust" at the bottom, Im guessing we are using ~ 30-35 lbs from each bag. One bag last month was absolutely horrible, threw away at least 20 lbs of unusable chips and dust. This one bag was a fluke, so we will continue to use the product. $12 for 30-35 lbs of usable lump is a good deal.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChief View Post
Hey all. Yeah, I posted about this stuff a week ago as well and just cut into the bag today. I can also confirm, the pieces in this bag are HUGE!! I've never seen lump like this. I'm running it right now in my Pro Q Excel. It's only been a couple hours so not sure how long it will run. Doesn't seem to be running very hot, but it's pretty breezy out right now so it's affecting my temps.

Despite the warning on the bag, I got almost no sparking and I lit it off with my weed torch. This too may become my fuel of choice going forward. I picked mine up for $14.25 here in El Paso, TX. For 40 lbs. of this stuff it's one hell of a deal.
Update. Ran my offset on Sunday (Charcoaler Duo) doing to chicken breasts and this stuff ran hot! Not sure how many pounds I used, but it was about 2/3 full in the smoker box, sitting on an elevated expanded metal grate at ash pan level. These pieces due to their size take a long time to heat up, but the main chamber got up to 400 before closed down the intake and let it run at about 310-325. Chicken came out great and only took about 1 1/2 hourse to cook. I'll have to play around with this stuff somemore so I don't waste any charcoal.

My next smoke just has to be a hot and fast brisket. I think stuff might be perfect for that. I've used split logs before as they get hot but they die down too quick (at least in my cheap offset) and produce tons of ash. Later.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
bbq54321
Knows what a fatty is.

i too, found at least 25% powder. and for that size bag, thats bad business in my book. also, anyone realize its from meh-hi-ko and, to my knowledge dere aint inny control or restrictionz

sorry to pizz on the other positives
bbq54321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Midnight Smoke

Thank Chris, I will be checking into that. Good price!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq54321 View Post
i too, found at least 25% powder. and for that size bag, thats bad business in my book. also, anyone realize its from meh-hi-ko and, to my knowledge dere aint inny control or restrictionz

sorry to pizz on the other positives
Did you just try 1 bag?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
bigabyte

My bag wasn't 25% powder, but perhaps many of them are. Mine was maybe between 15% to 20% fines, not really dust either but pieces too small to use mostly. I dumped it into a plastic container when I opened it so I saw how much there was right away.

Even with 25% dust, that is 30 pounds of usable lump for $13 here. That's $4.25 for 10 pounds of lump. I can't think of a better price for lump that good, and the bags you are comparing it to will have unusable dust/fines whereas the 30# you get for $4.25 is all usable because we already took out the 10# of dust you mentioned.

Duh.