Bite Thru Chicken Skin - Part III (it's all small steps)

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
DSC04403aajpgxx.jpg

About 18 months ago I posted the picture above. Since then, I've been working on the ultimate bite thru skin ...... a change here...... A different combination there ..... bone-in, boneless. You know how it goes. After today's cook, I can say I'm one level closer.​

I figure in about 10 or 12 years I'll get it just right. :biggrin:​

DSC08886a.jpg

DSC08884a.jpg

Thirdeye, that looks just about right to me, if not darned near perfect. When is the book coming out.

yer bites look kinda dainty. chiken looks awesome. ya gonna give us a clue on how to get bite through chicken ?

landarc, visit Thirdeye's web site. It is just about a cookbook on its own. Lots of excellent information there. Thirdeye, chicken looks about perfect brother.

Very nice - Comp Quality! So...What is the secret? Love to know what you first step is - other than trimming.

landarc, visit Thirdeye's web site. It is just about a cookbook on its own. Lots of excellent information there. Thirdeye, chicken looks about perfect brother.
Thanks for the tip MeatBurner, I been there many times, just to stare at the tools at times. That bite through thing still escapes me.

Which pit are you cooking them on Wayne? Big Drum chicken can't be beat!

What is bite thru chicken skin?
Is it that the skin isn't crispy but soft?
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't get this one.:-?
Looks great though Third!

What is bite thru chicken skin?
Is it that the skin isn't crispy but soft?
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't get this one.:-?
Looks great though Third!

Phubar,
When you smoke chicken the skin typically gets all rubbery and is difficult if not impossible to bite through. A lot of people will finish their chicken skin side down over some direct heat on a grill to crisp up the skin. Others will attempt to make the skin soft so that it can be bitten right through, especially in competition. Bite through skin is sort of the holy grail of bbq chicken. Hope that helped.
Chicken looked good to me third!

Chicken looks great! I just checked out your website (I haven't been there in a while) it is looking good too. For the novice - is the bite through chicken a competition thing?

Back