question on smoke rings

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
When i first started to que i cooked on a bandera. I still use it for chicken and ribs as well as for large cooks, however i find myself using my grill dome for long cooks at home and at competitions. It is really nice to get a few hours sleep and not have to feed the fire all the time. My question is this; I am used to having a fairly deep smoke ring on my banderas but have yet to achieve this with my grill dome. I mix chunks of wood in with the charcoal and even put two fist sized chunks on top when i light it. The flavor is plenty smoky, but i miss the deep pink ring. Is there a trick that i don't know about? Any help would be great.

I don't get as pronounced or as deep sometimes on the egg as I do the Klose, but as long as taste is there, I don't mind.

I'm always a little disappointed when I don"t get a good smoke ring. But it's not that big of a deal. Read through the link for the archives. Lots of good material in there.

Thanks for the link. It's not that big of a deal, there is just something about pulling a but and seeing that deep ring. I was mainly wondering if others had this issue or was i just doing something out of the ordinary. Thanks again

It is my understanding that none of the ceramic cookers get good smoke rings. There has to be some technical reason for this, but I haven't run across it yet.

Someone else told me that, but i am hesitant to add anything "artificial" to my food. I know many people add tq for a deep ring as well as MSG for that "pop" of flavor, but something about it just doesn't seem right.

When cooking on ceramics I find product gets to 140 internal quicker and you are not moving as much smoke through the cooker. It's just a difference in the make up of the cooker, ceramics uses much more radient heat to product product.

When cooking on ceramics I find product gets to 140 internal quicker and you are not moving as much smoke through the cooker. It's just a difference in the make up of the cooker, ceramics uses much more radient heat to product product.

Thanks Jim. I had suspected just that, but never had anyone explain it to me.

As far as I've read, experienced and learned....after the meat is 140 degrees smoke doesn't permeate it much. I agree with the above poster, the ceramic is much more efficient at heating the meat up...therefore, less smoke ring because of a lower time at the temp.

-Brian

Back