MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #16
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

I have these and absolutely love them. I can grab a 500F grill grate with them (not a good thing to do, but happens). Plus, they say Jim Beam on them. What's not to love?

WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
So far I have exclusively used these to pick up a raging hot charcoal basket from the bottom of my Pit Barrel Cooker and place it in my Weber Kettle to extinguish the coals

Have tried several pairs of welding glove in the past. With a really cheap pair burned my hand before I could lift it more than a couple of feet. With a $30 pair I could feel the heat after just a few seconds.

With these new gloves have not felt one bit of heat. Could probably hold for more than 30 seconds if needed. I also saw the the reviews about them not working well with steam or if they get wet. I think that is a common complaint with cloth type gloves. Those with a silicon outer shelf most likely are what you need if your gloves are going to get wet. Good luck on your search.
I have (1) of those gloves. It was a gift and apparently I only rated one glove. I also use it to place and remove my charcoal basket out of a UDS. I did that one time after washing it and it got hot really quick and I could not get it off my hand fast enough, so yeah getting it wet rendered it useless. Having said that I like the glove and should really get another one but I have welding gloves that get retired to live out their golden years as a pit mitt on a regular basis.

As far as my grate lifting tool goes, it was a piece of scrap galvanized flat stock that I had in my shop. I know, I know, the fact that it is galvanized will have some on this board clutching their pearls so you may want to avoid galvanized anything. Anyway I just bent it in a bench vise by hand until it would fit and wedge it's self into the grate and give me a way to lift the grate safely. It is not very sexy but it works and I use it to scrape the grate for cleaning as well as hang it from a convenient location without getting anything gunked up.

IMAG1693.jpg

IMAG1690.jpg

IMAG1688.jpg
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I got mine at Northern Tool. They come 2/3 up to my elbow and I don't feel any heat through them, but I only handle burning wood and my fire box. Not a super hot piece of steel. Good luck, Joe.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #19
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
I got mine at Northern Tool. They come 2/3 up to my elbow and I don't feel any heat through them, but I only handle burning wood and my fire box. Not a super hot piece of steel. Good luck, Joe.
Do you by chance have a link to the ones you got?

Thanx!

C
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, gloves, welding, welding gloves