Rookie Errors "What are they"

I know for me being very new to low and slow, I have just been trying to learn all I can. I have played around a little on my webber kettle with indirect heat and some wood chunks mixed in with my kingford. Seems to work ok but I think the cooking grate may be too close to the fuel on this small grill, do you guys think this could cause problems or is it not a big deal. I know temp in the cooking area is important and I can regulate that well but I'm more concerned about how close the meat is to the fuel.

rix, when your doing low and slow on a kettle, u need to 'offset' the fuel best you can. A small heap of coal on one side, climbing up the wall and your food on the far other side, or 2 smaller heaps on either side with your food in the middle. I always have a small foil water/drip mpan in the bottom too. It only takes about 20-30 briquettes and a chunk or 2 of wood to maintain the 250 degree range, so its easy to do it with a small heap on one side.

rix, when your doing low and slow on a kettle, u need to 'offset' the fuel best you can. A small heap of coal on one side, climbing up the wall and your food on the far other side, or 2 smaller heaps on either side with your food in the middle. I always have a small foil water/drip mpan in the bottom too. It only takes about 20-30 briquettes and a chunk or 2 of wood to maintain the 250 degree range, so its easy to do it with a small heap on one side.

Alright so the food being close to the fuel is not an issue I guess. I was guessing that was the benefit of the WSM but maybe its the same thing except you can fit more meat on there. Thanks for the info.

I don't know if it has been addresed yet, but when I first started doing large amounts of meat at a time I had a problem with grease fires. (especially while doing pork butts). I now use a drip pan.

It's been said but I'll reiterate a couple that most applied to me:

1) There is such a thing as too much smoke.
2) Only open the cooker when you have to. Tell anyone that wants to look that they'll have to wait an hour or two...

Biggest "mistake" (read LIE) that I made was tellin' the wife that the expense of the mobile pit would be the end of the expenses associated with my "BBQ Hobby."

Several items later she KNEW I could not be trusted:

EZ-UP Awnings
Chimneys
Weed Burners
Prep Tables
Cutting Boards
Knives
more Knives
Remote Thermos
Instant Read Thermos
Ice Chests
Food Warmers
Trays
Tables
Rolls of Red Checkered Tablecloths
BBQ Books
A Gazillion Spices
Pots
Cast Iron Cookware
more Pots
more Cast Iron Cookware
Aprons
T-Shirts
Cords of Wood
My Collection of Pigs to set on Tables for Events
more Pigs
Lights
Generator
Water Jugs
Portable Sinks
Wash Tubs
Mops
Sauces
Tongs
Hooks
Spatulas
Beer Can Chicken Devices
Vacuum Sealer
Zero-Gravity Chair
Inflatable Mattress
Brethren Membership
Brethren Conversations at 3AM

I know there is more but you get the hint.

Tell her the truth. This hobby is going to eat up all of the kid's college money, bills aren't going to get paid before the wood supplier gets his cash, you're gonna smell like smoke most of the time, and blah, blah, blah.

And if'n she don't like it, well...

...I guess she ain't gonna like it!

Oh yeah, one other investment every hard-core BBQ Brethren MUST invest in:

A COMFORTABLE COUCH.

Ken (I know)

Awesome thread. I been scribbling like mad. Many I've dealt with but I really appreciate the info about fire management. I've been trying to understand the principles of it and on one other sight I frequent they just were'nt able to provide the base of knowledge and experience as you all have. Im enjoying. Thanks.

Too much smoke
Opening the door too often
Putting on only ONE fattie
Not preparing the night before
Relying on time instead of temperature
Putting on too many different things at once

Don't forget about how slick them rubber gloves are! Cooking in a comp on an asphalt parking lot not too long ago, I juggled a 14 pound brisket when it slipped like I was trying to hold onto one of those old water weenies. I had it, then I lost it several times. By the time I picked it up off of the parking lot, it look like I completely covered it with coarse ground sea salt. :hand: But wait, wifey went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a cheap flat and my first hot and fast was on the smoker about an hour later. I took 3rd place with that brisket. I dunked the one I dropped and scrubbed with clean water several times and gave it to my starving artist daughter and her roommate. They said it was the best brisket they had ever had. :tape: Mums the word on that one.

So, hang on tight when transferring brisket to wrap, pan or whatever.:becky:

Buying cheap equipment- you get what you pay for there is a difference between a good value and cheap.

Not using the right amount of fuel for the task at hand

having your unit setup improperly

Trying to cook difficult items like brisket before mastering your grill- start small and simple

Opening lid too much- if your lookin your not cookin

In the same vein as last one over tending- trying to adjust vents too much too often

The biggest one I can imagine is NOT finding/hanging out here. Or, more specific....trying to figure everything out on your own and not asking questions of those who KNOW.....like The BBQ Brethren.

I started smoking about 30 years ago in a pit made out of builders blocks, with a Piggly Wiggly metal sign for a top. We didn't have a temp gauge.
We put the meat on when it felt hot enough... Same for telling when it was done. When it looked done, we cut off a slice to check it... Good Q...
T H E N...
I tried to go fancy about 10 years ago and ruined meat when I tried to cook strictly by temp.
Lesson learned.
I had forgot my ole Daddys advice: 'It's done when it's done...'

I went back to the basics and the BBQ was again good...
The same advice I see here all the time.

My mistakes were many: :doh:
Wet wood
Checking the Q too often
Swabbing the meat with BBQ sauce the whole time it was smoking
and lastly... Tearing apart the bld.block pit
(I'm going to build another... just smaller)

Until then I'm using the UDS. It is easy to maintain steady temps, and I get good Q...

My biggest regret is using a computer since the 80s, but not finding this forum till recently.

Last edited:
Not having fun. Damn-it, this is fun. Have fun. If you screw up, well, try to fix it, or move on. Sometimes, even when you think everything is right, it's not. You just have to go with it and work on it next time.

This is a good idea for a thread. Two of the biggest errors I see are

1. Not evaluating your own product and making small changes to improve it. Too often other folks are just plain too polite and will always tell you to your face how good your Q is. Ask a few of them what do they really like and also ask what could be improved. Get opinions from folks that are good cooks, they have no reasons to lie to you. Compare that information to how you size it up yourself. I'm not saying to always cook for the other persons taste, but I have a few small changes I make depending on who I'm cooking for.

2. Using smoke correctly. I just cringe when I see a guys pit that is puffing white smoke and he sez something like .... "my butts are really smokin' NOW!!!"

I edited some of the other things I think are important from an article on my site called Introduction to Barbecue, and here is the short version.

PLANNING
First off, you need to allow plenty of time for barbecuing. Don’t get in a hurry. You will find that many times, preparation the day before will be worth the extra effort.

PRACTICE
Great barbecue is a journey, not a destination. Barbecue may look easy when someone else cooks it. The recipes generally don't have a lot of ingredients. The cuts of meat are very common. Don't be fooled, there are a lot of hidden variables. There is a BIG difference between good barbecue and great barbecue. You will be very lucky if you make good barbecue on the first couple of cooks. It may take years before you make great barbecue. So before you serve barbecue to a house full of guests or the preachers wife...practice, practice, practice.

COOKING LOG
Do get in the habit of recording the details of your cooks. If you make changes, change one or two things at a time.

THE COOKER
Many pit masters agree that “it’s the cook, not the cooker” but you must figure out your cooker and its capabilities.

THE FIRE
Use a good quality hardwood or hardwood charcoal. Let the fire become established before adding food to the pit. Until you get the hang of overnight cooks, keep an eye on the fire.

THE SMOKE
Make sure to let the smoke from wood chunks or chips settle down before loading your cooker. Keep a watchful eye on your top vent or stack. A white smoke plume, billowing from your vent will most likely impart a bitter flavor and maybe a residue on your product. A light gray or blue smoke whiff is what you are after.

SEASONINGS
The goal is to compliment the flavor of the meat, without overpowering it. Use good quality seasonings or rubs. DON’T apply sauces too early during the cook, wait until the end or serve them at the table.

THE COOK
Start out with easy cooks. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature at the grate as well as your product.

THE REST
Allow your meat to rest before slicing or pulling. The juices need time to re-distribute into the meat.

SERVING
Ok, now you are ready to dig in. If you are slicing beef, pay attention to the grain and cut across it for tenderness. When pulling or chopping beef and pork, remove some of the fat but be sure and mix some of the crust or “bark” in with the meat. Don’t be alarmed if the meat, especially chicken, has a pink color. Don't be too eager to slather on the sauce, it is not always necessary. I like to serve a couple of kinds at the table.

REHEATING
For reheating barbecue use an aluminum pan. Add a diluted sauce, CocaCola, apple juice, broth or a mixture of any of these to keep the product moist, cover and place in a 250° oven for about an hour or until warm.

great post. I need to learn to be patient before adding the food :oops:

My biggest mistake was wanting to fiddle with my smoker temperature too much. I was constantly adding wood, changing the vent, stirring the fire, popping the lid to compensate for spikes... Sometimes, you just gotta get it to a stable temperature and leave it the heck alone. Don't worry about small spikes and dips. That was hard for me to get used to.

Fire control, fire control, and then FIRE control...

That, and I'm still amazed how many here dont know that the temperature shown on your external mounted thermometer (the one you can walk up to the smoker and read) is likely to be 20 to 50 degrees OFF from your actual cooking surface temperature. When we talk about cooking temperatures, it's on the cooking surface itself. I cannot tell you how many pieces of meat I ruined before I learned this simple lesson and that I'd been trying to cook meat (unsuccessfully mind you) at 180 degrees rather than the 220 showing on the thermometer. AND that this doesn't mean that the thermometer is broken or wrong. Darned if heat doesn't do this funny thing; it rises. In my case my thermometer was towards the top, where heat accumulates...

Afterwards, work on fire control.

Back