MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob
Default Cajun fast food!

I watched this vid and it reminded me to make some since I'm out. I love they give so much attention to my home town of Scott, The Boudin Capital of the World!!! Best Stop is the best if anyone was wondering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy22OziLCI

I made a seasoning mix, here's the amounts
All are TBS unless noted
2 salt
1 black pepper
1 white pepper
1 garlic
1 onion
2 parsley
2 cayenne
1 TSP celery
1 TSP mustard

other stuff

Pork cut into pieces and seasoned

those onions, green onions bottoms, just the white parts, 3 celery stalks and 1.5 of the bell peppers.

Brown the meat to get a good color for the gravy

blend the chicken liver

Add the veggies and start on the gravy

Add 1/3 cup of the seasoning mix and add the meat again to simmer and blend in the veggie flavors, probably 15 minutes

Remove the meat and add the liver, cook for about 10 minutes

Add the meat and water to the top of the meat, bring to a boil and then simmer till it's fork tender.

Sorry I didn't get pics of the whole grinding/mixing process.
Remove the meat when it's tender, let it cool enough to handle then use the biggest grinding plate you have and grind the meat. I mixed 5 cups of cooked rice with the meat, broth from the pot and green onions. You have to judge the broth, it needs to be a little soupy because the rice will absorb the gravy once it sits a while. This is when you taste and add more seasoning, I added another 2 TBS of cayenne and 1 TBS of the seasoning I mixed. Then it's time to stuff the Boudin. Here's one batch before boiling it to cook the casing.

Finished product, this is what you'll get in almost any country store here.

That was a long process to do alone but the reward is a quick delicious meal. To warm them I just boil the bags in water and they taste just like the day you made it. You can use it to stuff meat or veggies, make wraps, fried boudin balls or my favorite is smoked.
Here's everything except what me and the dog ate for supper. The ziplock bag will be smoked for fathers day and the rest is on standby.
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

One of my favorite sausages. I prefer to smoke them over boiling them though.

Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Legit boudin there Radrob. Green onions really shine in boudin. Crawfish trays are really useful for general kitchen duty. We use ours all year round.
Good tutorial on your process. I know the dog enjoyed sharing them with you.

I agree about smoked being the favorite.
Best Stop does have the best store bought smoked boudin in my opinion. Love. that snap on the smoked casings. Usually get their regular as well, and have never been dissappointed.
Cracklins from Don's, and we are also partial to the pepper jack boudin balls from Billy's.
I also buy my lard for tamales from Best Stop.

Have some old friends that live in Scott. You don't by chance know a couple with names Barry and Cindy do you? Not going to post their last name.

Thanks for the post, I think. Now I've got a hankering for a stick at four in the morning

Last edited by homesmoke; 06-15-2019 at 04:14 AM..
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2019, 02:40 AM   #4
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Great tutorial mate,very interesting sounding sausage.
Can you pan fry the finished sausage?

Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Thanks for the video share and a great post Rob.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

That is a very meaty boudin. I can tell you prefer Best Stop's. Yours looks very similar. Love their boudin balls especially. Driving back from Louisiana always takes me a while because all the stops I have to make. Always stop at Best Stop in Scott and Rabideaux in Iowa. Also might swing by the big Market Basket in Lake Charles. Love that stuff

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Excellent! And perfectly timed. A batch of Boudin is on the to do list for my week off work...

Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
Nevrqutsmokin
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Justin

That looks awesome! I would love to try to.make my own one day
Nevrqutsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Looks great Rob nice job!

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That looks and sounds amazing
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

OK just one question. You mention boiling to cook the casing before you freeze the sausages. Is that step necessary and for how long do you boil it. I've never seen that step in any recipe before...

OK two questions. Why do you blend the livers? and when do they get added. Surely not to the boil but if not then it wouldn't be cooked...

I'm about to make my first ever batch. So any advise would be greatly appreciated...

Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
Great tutorial mate,very interesting sounding sausage.
Can you pan fry the finished sausage?
Yes you can pan fry it but be careful not to bust the casing. It's fully cooked so you can warm it any way you like.

Last edited by Radrob; 06-15-2019 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrqutsmokin View Post
That looks awesome! I would love to try to.make my own one day
It's not hard just time consuming, give it a go!!

Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
OK just one question. You mention boiling to cook the casing before you freeze the sausages. Is that step necessary and for how long do you boil it. I've never seen that step in any recipe before...

OK two questions. Why do you blend the livers? and when do they get added. Surely not to the boil but if not then it wouldn't be cooked...

I'm about to make my first ever batch. So any advise would be greatly appreciated...
You have to cook the casing before or after freezing. If you do it before, then you have ready to eat sausage. Again, smoking it is the way to go.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Boiling is seldom mentioned but it makes a difference in texture. It's not a hard rolling boil, more like a gentle simmer so the casings doesn't bust open. You don't have to boil it when done. Most places just freeze it or put it in the cooler till they need more then boil it to warm it up and keep it warm in a big rice cooker.

I added the liver after cooking the veggies down. I add enough water to bring it to a boil then dump the liver and stir.

The only advise is make sure you taste it and reseason before stuffing. It should also be very moist, almost dripping. The rice will absorb it when cooked or warmed up.

Thanks from: --->