• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Traeger Poll

WadeF

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my Traeger to either the 2019 Ironwood 885 or the Timberline 1300. I'm would love to hear your thoughts on which one you think I should go with. I'm really trying to determine if the few extra features in the timberline justify the extra $600.

Thank for any input!

Wade

I have a timberline and have seen the Ironwood in person. Both cookers run on the same controller and drive system I believe. The only difference is timberline is double wall insulated. I believe they will cook just about the same. I don't think either will be great at smoking or grilling but are excellent at roasting and baking.

I recently picked up a MAK, the timberline will be for sale soon.

IF you need the extra space in the 1300 then go for it, they also make the new D2 1300 and that would be my choice. I have had my 1300 since last Dec and I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice comparison post Tom, thanks for that! I should have mentioned that both the Ironwood and the timberline have sufficient cook space for what I need, so that isn't a huge factor for me. From what I am gathering on the Traeger site, they both have double walled insulation, but the timberline's is stainless steel. Only other advantages are the concealed grease tray, and the shelves/cutting board. I'm not really seeing much else of a difference between them. Kinda hard to justify the $600, but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

The ironwood is only insulated on the top half not the body, timberline is fully insulated ans SS

If you want the space, buy a 1300 and throw the timberline controller in the trash and replace it with a Rectec controller, or, you can just buy a Rectec. If you are still set on being screwed over by Treager, I'll sell you my 3x used Timberline 1300 for $1000, you pay shipping.

There is a lot of hate towards Traeger on here and I can understand why, but I look at it like this. The original design basically started the pellet industry and their presence and market share gets people who otherwise might not be into bbq into the hobby. Traeger is how I discovered my love for bbq and this site. Yes mine wasn’t perfect but with an upgraded controller from Savannah stoker it held temps better than any grill I’ve seen or used.

For the poll I would get the timberline. The insulation and heavier construction would be my reasoning.

The ironwood is only insulated on the top half not the body, timberline is fully insulated ans SS

Thats not true at all. The Ironwood is insulated on the sides and bottom.

FWIW I had a rectec trailblazer mainly due to size. It was a good cooker but too small. When the new D2 came out I knew I wanted to upgrade in size and get something that was well built. The Ironwood 885 looks to fit that bill. It has great space and I was able to smoke a brisket in it recently along with a tube using qpellets red oak. Flavor was fantastic. Also did some jalepeno chedder sausages which were phenomenal. Have about 60 (30 Kofte/30 Pablano-Swiss-Pork on her now as well. So far I love this cooker.

Attachments

• IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.52.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.52.27 PM.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.52.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.52.04 PM.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back