MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Default IBCA Contests

Before I ask, I just want to go on record that I am not trying to stir the pot or create a thread that bashes one sanctioning body over another. I want to learn about another organization from those that have dealt with that organization and possibly see if I would be interested in competing in organizing under another sanctioning bodies rules.

I have asked before, but want to expand on the the answers that I recieved before. If you have cooked an IBCA contest before or organized one, could you answer the following questions? It would be most helpful. If you have not cooked one before would you read the responses and answer number 5? If you would rather PM your answers that would be great as well.

1. As far as costs to enter/organize the contest is their a major cost difference between IBCA and other sancationing body contest costs? Not just entry fees, but across the board.

2. Do you get more or less services from IBCA over any other sanctioning body. (answer

3. Is judging at an IBCA contest any better or worse than any other sanctioning bodies judging.

4. What are the Pros and Cons of an IBCA Contest.

5. When after reading the responses to these questions, would you cook an IBCA contest if you had never done so before? What other information would you need to make an informed answer.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I have never cooked a IBCA contest, but I will tell you that I would cook any comp governed by any organization. Better is in the eye of the beholder.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post

1. As far as costs to enter/organize the contest is their a major cost difference between IBCA and other sancationing body contest costs? Not just entry fees, but across the board.

2. Do you get more or less services from IBCA over any other sanctioning body. (answer

3. Is judging at an IBCA contest any better or worse than any other sanctioning bodies judging.

4. What are the Pros and Cons of an IBCA Contest.

5. When after reading the responses to these questions, would you cook an IBCA contest if you had never done so before? What other information would you need to make an informed answer.

1. I will leave this for the contest orgainizers, but I have been told much less for IBCA over KCBS.

2. That comes down to the contest promoter & the contest orgainizer. They can some times be one in the same or different. Here in CA, Thom is the only person who does IBCA contests, and he does a fairly good job of either addressing team needs or geting the promoter of the contest to. KCBS contests in CA, some have been a joy, others just so-so.

3. Only judged 1 IBCA event, sorry, KCBS is the winner hands down here. Call me a knuckledragger, but BBQ is ment to be eaten with your hands!

4. Pros. No garnish, no exceptions. 1 hr. turn-in (I prefer 30 mins. like KCBS). Cons. Have to cook spare ribs, have to cook 1/2 chicken, YOU DO NOT GET OVERALL FINAL RESULTS OF STANDINGS!

5. Curious to see others responses!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Done em both
It really comes down to
Can you get enough CBJs?
If not The IBCA system works.
I will do both in 2009
Smaller Contests are IBCA
Larger we go KCBS

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com

Last edited by ThomEmery; 11-25-2008 at 07:39 PM..
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

I enjoy the IBCA contests Thom has been putting on just as much as the KCBS ones.

The answer to #5 is IBCA was the first contest I ever did. It was great to get my feet wet.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

no garnish

Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We started out IBCA, and it took about a red-hot minute to determine that we prefer KCBS.

I'm not in love with the one-hour turn-in intervals, but recognize that those are more doable for those less experienced.

I'm even less fond of not getting complete overall scoring information. Scoring feedback is crucial to improving our performance.

Finally, we put way too much work into the food to turn it over to random passersby who don't even have the rudimentary training afforded KCBS CBJs.

We will more than likely cook IBCA at some time again in the future (and I'll probably pleat the edges of the foil in sheer frustration), but if there's a decent KCBS contest that same weekend that's where I'll be.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

We traveled from KC to Houston to do an IBCA contest a few years ago.

1. Entry fee was comparable. You might spend a little less with IBCA just because you have one less category (Texas contests are Brisket, half chicken and spare ribs...I believe the CA IBCA contests have added the 4th pork category). Also, you will not have to buy garnish. So, all other things equal, maybe you save $50 or so over a KCBS envent.
Advantage: IBCA

2. This is probably in the eye of the beholder. A lot would depend on the organizers or reps at the contest. One major drawback is that you do not get a score sheet or find out how you finished after the contest (unless you were called for an award).
Advantage: KCBS

3. IBCA uses judges off the street. KCBS uses CBJ's (or at least most contests try to use as many as they can). Also, I think IBCA contests permit cooking team members to judge, as long as they are not the head cook.

4. IBCA Pros:
-One hour (or more) between turn-ins means no rushing.
-No garnish and uniform rules in place for box presentation mean all entries look the same (in theory) and you are judged only on the meat you turn in and nothing else.
-A lot of IBCA contests don't pay out for GC or RGC...Not paying out for GC or RGC results in spreading out more money in the categories.
IBCA Cons:
-One hour (or more) between turn-ins means the contest gets over late. Last turn-in is usually 3pm or later. Awards can be as late as 5 or 6pm.
-No garnish means there is no way to set your entry apart from others.
-No paying out for GC or RGC...only for category wins. And some pay more for brisket than the other categories (not sure if that is a pro or con).
-No score sheets.
-At the awards a ticket number is read off for category winners...not a team name.

Note: Some of this may have changed sinced I cooked an IBCA event.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
We traveled from KC to Houston to do an IBCA contest a few years ago.

1. Entry fee was comparable. You might spend a little less with IBCA just because you have one less category (Texas contests are Brisket, half chicken and spare ribs...I believe the CA IBCA contests have added the 4th pork category). Also, you will not have to buy garnish. So, all other things equal, maybe you save $50 or so over a KCBS envent.
Advantage: IBCA

2. This is probably in the eye of the beholder. A lot would depend on the organizers or reps at the contest. One major drawback is that you do not get a score sheet or find out how you finished after the contest (unless you were called for an award).

3. IBCA uses judges off the street. KCBS uses CBJ's (or at least most contests try to use as many as they can). Also, I think IBCA contests permit cooking team members to judge, as long as they are not the head cook.

4. IBCA Pros:
-One hour (or more) between turn-ins means no rushing.
-No garnish and uniform rules in place for box presentation mean all entries look the same (in theory) and you are judged only on the meat you turn in and nothing else.
-A lot of IBCA contests don't pay out for GC or RGC...Not paying out for GC or RGC results in spreading out more money in the categories.
IBCA Cons:
-One hour (or more) between turn-ins means the contest gets over late. Last turn-in is usually 3pm or later. Awards can be as late as 5 or 6pm.
-No garnish means there is no way to set your entry apart from others.
-No paying out for GC or RGC...only for category wins. And some pay more for brisket than the other categories (not sure if that is a pro or con).
-No score sheets.
-At the awards a ticket number is read off for category winners...not a team name.

Note: Some of this may have changed sinced I cooked an IBCA event.
A couple of things are different out here in Cali Neal.

1. We cook pork and it can be sauced.
2. We pay for GC and RGC.
3. When you number gets called, we find out your team name and announce during the walk up.
4. We usually have People's choice/sampling going on so you really don't have downtime between turn-ins and you can make gas money at the very least.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook mainly IBCA or TGCBCA both based the same and I also cook KCBS

Entry fees are a lot less for IBCA

The majority of events are paying GC and they mostly pay the top three in each and the larger ones pay up to ten place's in each categories they do have a fourth categories they call it jackpot open usually pays only one place here lately they have been pork butt.

Ant event where you have more than 25 teams the call " final table" #'s past last one awarded that went to final table.

Judging is done by Jo Q public yes some event pull from teams only on preliminary round not supposed to use team members on final table

1 hour turn in time most of the times they need this for the judging time.

Like Mista said they call out the team name after the # is verified.

After awards you can view and sample the top winners entry NOT chicken

Will do IBCA and some KCBS

Regarding what type of judging is better is like asking which religion is the best
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

I have only cooked IBCA or LSBS (exact same rules and regs). Entry fees range from a low of $65 to a high of $175.

Dustaway is right about needing the longer turn in times for judging. At the larger contests, you have to make it through 3-4 rounds of preliminary judging tables to get to final table.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote